Apr 2nd

2009

Global Workflow

globalworkflowthumb

I know there are many of you that don’t get Photoshop User Magazine. I also know you know that I think you should be a member of NAPP and getting this magazine as part of your membership. But I’ll save the sermon for another time. The kind folks at Photoshop User Magazine have graciously allowed me to post the PDF version of my latest article, a gift of love to all you non-NAPP folk out there who want to read the article but don’t subscribe. Click HERE for a downloadable PDF version of my article GLOBAL WORKFLOW, an excerpt from the April/May 2009 edition of Photoshop User.

1. April 2, 2009 at 2:43 am

Great article, but I’ve got one question.

Do you carry the hyperdrive/one of your harddrives when you’re out and about? Because of possible theft in an hotel or things like that.

2. April 2, 2009 at 3:04 am

Thanks for the insight into your workflow. It is really helpful.

3. dani

April 2, 2009 at 3:32 am

Thanks for this David (and thanks kind folks at Photoshop User Magazine) – unfortunately there’s no way to lay my hands on this magazine over here…

4. April 2, 2009 at 4:14 am

I don’t have time to read it right now but I really dig the layout. It’s very “travel/adventury”. I will for sure read the article later today. I am very interested in work flow articles.

BTW. I inquired about a membership to NAPP last year. Even when our dollar was at par, they wanted to gauge us Canadians.

April 2, 2009 at 6:48 am

Chris – Yeah, it’s more expensive, but remember it’s USPS and Canada Post that’s doing the gouging. The bulk of our membership fees go to the magazine and the shipping and it’s just way more for shipping, currency isn’t relevant.

But if you use your membership well you more than make up the costs in discounts.

April 2, 2009 at 6:50 am

Jeroen – I thought I answered this question. I don’t generally carry my hyperdrive out and about with me, but I do often give one of my harddrives to someone else to hang on to, just in case. And I lock my stuff into a Peli-case when I’m out.

7. Aleksei Saunders

April 2, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Why – I just joined NAPP. What a coincidence!!

David, re: POGO – does it print from RAW images on your camera or only from JPEG?

April 2, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Atta boy, Alex!

Pogo only prints from JPG or RAW+JPG, but it needs the JPG. I just set my C1 custom function to JPG, P-mode, quick an’dirty shot so I don’t have to fiddle with it all.

9. Aleksei Saunders

April 2, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Gotcha – Thanks.

Now, do you have a workflow for 6,425 concert photos?

10. April 2, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Thanks for a great article!

So you make two (or three) copies of all of the files before doing any editing, then you delete all the obviously bad ones. Do you then go back in and sync all the deletes on the backup drives??

I’ve heard of many photogs using the automatic backup on import to Lightroom, but I’ve never been able to figure out how to easily sync the deletes. I generally make my backup copies only after my first edit. I like to shoot lots of images, and so there are usually lots to delete right away as well. How do you make this work?

April 2, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Sean – Great Q. I backup my stuff like crazy on the road, but so long as nothing goes south or gets stolen, when I get home I simply export the files as catalog from the laptop, so my deleted stuff doesn’t go over to main drives when I get home. Does this make sense. I know what you’re asking, just not sure if I’m answering it right.

12. April 20, 2009 at 9:54 am

Thanks Sean, I waited until I received my issue to read the article and then looked up this post to ask that very question.

I was also curious if you were deleting the rejects from your working library but still maintained a backup of the entire shoot – just in case you were ever to revisit what you once thought was bad.

In summary. Reject photos are deleted forever.

13. April 20, 2009 at 10:55 am

Yes, I definitely delete my rejects and once they are deleted they are gone forever. My summary workflow is:

1. import all files with 1:1 previews
    2. first pass rough edit deleting all blurry, out of focus, and otherwise obvious bad images (including duplicates that really are identical , but I do keep images that are only similar if they are technically good)
    3. 2nd pass edit with detailed assessment of duplicates and marginal images to see if they can be saved and/or if they are worth keeping
    4. my nightly backup will copy all the keepers into my extensive backup system (eventually there will at least 4 copies of everything)
    5. on future days any additional edits or deletions will also propogate through that backup system

It works for me, but I would like to be able to have at least 2 copies before doing any edits. I haven’t been able to find an automated way to do that so far as any software that I have tried will get confused when there are copies of images on the backup drive that aren’t on the main drive. I’m sure I could get around it (maybe with something more like time machine).

14. January 30, 2010 at 1:47 pm

[...] be no catching up.  I recommend using David duChemin’s global workflow as a starting point (alternate link here).  Always have your camera with you, even if you think you are just being taken to the bakery for [...]

15. July 4, 2010 at 11:41 pm

[...] duChemin: Global Workflow (from Photoshop [...]

16. May 5, 2011 at 1:12 pm

[...] be no catching up. I recommend using David duChemin’s global workflow as a starting point (alternate link here). Always have your camera with you, even if you think you are just being taken to the bakery for [...]