Jan 6th

2010

Come With Me to Tibet

This July I’m heading to Tibet for the first time and I’ll be exploring the Tibetan plateau with 9 others. You could be one of them.

It’s a small group, as it always is with Lumen Dei tours. We’ll be spending our time among nomads in some of the more remote reaches of the plateau, and our time will be culminating with a large nomad horse festival. I’ve been asked to lead this group as the instructor so will be with you nearly 24/7 for this trip. It’ll be an adventure and while I hate to play favourites I think this is the tour I am most excited about this year, if only because Tibet has been on my bucket list for so long it’s starting to seem like one of those mythical places you read a lot about but doesn’t actually exist.

More information can be found on the site HERE. The tour is from July 20-30, (though the graphic above says 19th to 31st because those are arrival and departure dates)  Cost is USD$4800 from Xining. This one is going to go fast. If the dates don’t work or you prefer to do a similar tour with someone better looking than I am, Matt Brandon will be doing a similar tour, though without the horse festival, from June 18th to July 01st. Info on Matt’s tour can be found HERE.

This is the only remaining tour I am leading for 2010 that is not sold out. If you’ve got an itch to do this once-in-a-lifetime journey and think traveling with me wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world,  then act quick. Can’t wait to see who’s traveling with me for this one. Lumen Dei tours are an unique photographic learning experience; join us!

Lumen Dei was founded by Matt Brandon and I, and still reflects our passion, vision, and ethics, but is now run separately in order to grow with the demand. If you have specific questions about the tour please feel free to ask but I’m in Africa until the middle of February and wouldn’t be able to do more than guess at the answer anyways. I no longer deal with logistics in any way. I focus on what I love and what I am good at – teaching. The other guys do a much better job at the other stuff. My only regret in all this is that I don’t get to travel with Matt, which ought to keep the sarcasm levels down, but now I’ll have no one to snuggle with on those cold Himalayan nights :-) Ahem. All that to say, please direct questions through the Lumen-Dei site and be patient, you’re dealing with very capable people that might be spending a few nights with the nomads and it might take a couple days to get a reply. They’ll take excellent care of you, though.

1. January 6, 2010 at 7:08 am

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by pixelatedimage: Details for the July 2010 photo tour and workshop in Tibet are now up! http://bit.ly/4IMrbL

2. January 6, 2010 at 7:27 am

I’d love to join you David but I might have to wait a few years :-) Have a great trip and I look forward to seeing your images.

3. January 6, 2010 at 7:28 am

David – I spent some time in Tibet in September with a small group. It is the experience of a lifetime. We flew from Kathmandu to Lhasa and went back by road. Sounds like you will be farther north, which I’d love to visit. Your itinerary may not take you to Everest base camp, but it’s worth a journey.

I’m an amateur photographer, not nearly on your level, but I do have a set of pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobcrowe/sets/72157622116001661/ . The pix at the beginning and end are from Kathmandu and area, with Tibet in the middle. Many of the shots are just to record memories of the journey but there are some good ones in there.

Quick tips: take the risk of altitude sickness seriously and don’t dare take photos of soldiers or police.

4. claude etienne

January 6, 2010 at 7:54 am

David, I’d love to go one day, maybe in a few years. Have a great trip to Africa.

Bob, the pictures you took on your Tibet trip are pretty good. You said not to take pictures of soldiers or police, but on the first page there’s a picture of riot police. I guess you took a risk there then.

5. January 6, 2010 at 8:09 am

Claude – that picture was is Kathmandu – much more laid back in Nepal. The pictures from Tibet start with the Budweiser billboard (the first ad sign we saw after leaving the airport) and end with Low-Priced Snack, a shop at the Nepalese border.

6. January 6, 2010 at 1:12 pm

[…] Come With Me to Tibet – How awesome would going on one of these trips be. […]

7. claude etienne

January 6, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Bob, Thanks for clarifying.

8. January 6, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Tibet is wonderful. I spent a couple of weeks there pretty much cut off from the world in September 2001 (a very interesting time to be cut off from the world). Fantastic scenery, and a real emotional rollercoaster – the differences in living situations between different groups in the society there is hard to watch.

My biggest regret though was that I was there pre-digital and had a film budget to stick to. These days I’d be taking a lot more photos.

9. January 6, 2010 at 5:21 pm

@Craig Ferguson – So true about the social classes, it’s only gotten worse. To give a very poignant examples – we were walking through a parking garage yesterday in Xining only to see multiple $300,000+ SUV’s parked there(Import taxes on luxury cars here is ridiculous, sometimes 150% and up!) only to walk out and see beggars at the entrance. It’s a growing problem that leads to many interesting social encounters.

Modernization has left a majority of China’s minorities in the dust – especially western and central China. Jobs, skills, and training among Tibetans will become a crisis within the next 25 years.

The Kham and Amdo regions of Tibet are the most untouched by modernization and people participating in this tour will get the opportunity to see that – its just amazing here.

10. Graham

January 29, 2010 at 6:36 am

Trip would be great, the only problem is the Yushu and Litang festivals have been cancelled in the past, and sometimes only a few weeks notice. Perhaps someone with more knowledge about this can comment on this possibility.