May 22nd

2010

Back Home & Long Overdue

This is one of those long “cram as much into one post as possible” posts. The last month’s been sparse around here with all my travel, so now’s my time to play catch-up.

ITALY WITHIN THE FRAME

The iWTF trips were amazing and as Jeffrey Chapman and I get ready for next year’s offerings I’m already getting homesick for the places we called home during our time there. I enjoy all my workshops but these ones were special; might have had something to do with the spectacular scenery, and seemingly unending food and wine that was simply incredible. Loved it. It was a new thing for me, shooting in Europe for the first time in years and finding my rhythm, especially where photographing people was concerned. But your vision adapts to new places and new constraints, and I came home with images I’m proud of. Most of my images there were experimental and I’ve found that looking at all my work that way frees me to take more risks and be less safe. Anyways, amazing time there. If you click on the image above it’ll take you to a slideshow of the work I shot there. This is a rough edit and the post-production was done in a hurry on the road, but here’s a first look. Click HERE or on the image above.

By the way, there are still spots on the Kathmandu Within The Frame workshop in Nepal this fall. Click HERE for more information.

WHAT NOW?

Weirdly, I am now home for a stretch. I’ve got brief trips to San Francisco, New York City, and Maui planned for one thing or another, but until I take off for Lumen Dei India in September, I’m around for almost three months. During that time I’m wrapping up one project, beginning another, and working on releasing a few more Craft & Vision books to you. Then it’s Lumen Dei India in September, Kathmandu Within The Frame in October, and I think a personal trip to Antarctica in December before starting it all over again for 2011. Phew. I just exhausted myself typing that.

CRAFT & VISION RELEASES

I’m excited to tell you the Craft & Vision team is about to release a few more eBooks – including the second volume of Andrew S. Gibson’s The Magic of Black & White (which I’ll talk about later this week when it’s released), and the first three in a new series called The Print & The Process, which allows the photographs to take center stage, accompanied by a discussion of the creation of those images. I’ve got two coming out but the one I am most excited about is called CHASING REFLECTIONS by Eli Reinholdtsen. Her work is simply amazing and has inspired me in a way I haven’t been in a while. Makes me love photography all over again. Andrew’s book gets released this Thursday, May 27th. We’ve been working hard to keep up with the technology and have decided to change the layouts to a native landscape format so they read easier on both laptops and iPads. Have an iPad? Get the GoodReader app and these eBooks look fantastic!

AND FINALLY…

I just made the last tweaks on Vision & Voice (oh man, do I hope they’re the final ones!) and I’m happy to tell you that at this point it’s early for the deadline which means it’ll go to press on time and release on time. I had a heck of a time with this one. I’m no technical writer and there were days when the Artist and the Geek struggle was heavily in favour of the Geek and the Artist was begging for mercy. The fact that we got it done at all without me spending my advance on whisky is a miracle. But, it’s almost done, I’m still sober, and I’m thrilled with how it looks. It’ll be out in July and with that the vision trilogy will be complete. Until I do the fourth book which I’m embarrassed to tell you I’ve just begun. I know, I said I was taking a break….

LAST WORD.

One of the things that most surprised me in Italy was how taking a more experimental approach and spending such concentrated time with other photographers rejuvenated my vision and my passion for this craft. If it’s been a while since you felt that perhaps you’ll find your muse in a surprising place; stop taking this so seriously, comparing yourself to others, and expecting certain images. Let go, let it be a little more playful or experimental, grab a 50mm lens and go shoot something just for fun. We take things far too seriously sometimes.

Phew, that was a long one. Check out the Italy photographs, I’ll be back in a couple days with a few more things from the backlog in my brain, and the release of Andrew Gibson’s The Magic of Black & White – Part Two, Craft. Have a great weekend. And if you’re in the Commonwealth, a happy Victoria Day Weekend to ya.

1. May 22, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I’ve said this to everyone who will listen, that Italy Within the Frame was a life-changing experience for me, both photographically and personally. I’m not trying to be overly dramatic here, but if you can find the means to go with David and Jeffrey to Kathmandu, do it. Beg, borrow, or steal the funds (okay, don’t steal them) and get signed up.

Of course, it didn’t hurt to have Eli Reinholdtsen on the same trip, either. As David says, she was full of energy and an inspiration to all of us, providing us all new ways of thinking about photography.

But David? I’d really like to see your slide show on my iPad :-)

May 22, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Hey Stuart – Sorry about the Flash slideshow. I only just tried to view it on my own iPad, completely forgetting that SlideShow Pro was a Flash thing. Doh! Sorry man. See you in Kathmandu!

3. Lyric

May 22, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Welcome Home. Might be good to send me the dates of your Fall / Winter line up as it currently stands – would hate to lose your participation!

4. May 22, 2010 at 6:22 pm

I am loving this fine art approach to your images you’ve got going. Very different from the feel of the majority of your work over the past few years. I like it. See you in Sept…sounds like a song.

5. May 22, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Hi Dave. I am so looking forward to your newest ebooks coming out. Your new book Vision and Voice will be snatched off the shelf by me on the first day.

6. Sunny

May 22, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Your shots from Italy are gorgeous…that just happens to be my favorite place on earth, and I’m envious of your time spent there.

7. May 22, 2010 at 7:00 pm

David if you do Italy again next year I will do whatever I have to do to be on that trip! The photos are beautiful – love the colours and light. Sigh… :)

Looking forward to all the new books!

8. May 22, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Antarctica. Sweet!!!

9. May 22, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Can’t wait to view the slide show, currently on my iPhone, and see fe wonderful experience yoi captured. I have thoroughly enjoyed the Craft & Vision books and I look forward to the second installment in the Black & White series. The first one was amazing with a lot of information. Keep up the amazing works but remember to make time for you.

10. May 22, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Love the Italian images – probably my favourite country in the world. As others have said, let us know next year’s dates and I’ll start saving up.

11. Jeff

May 22, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Damn, I love the shot of the tree from Vernazza. I soo wish we were back on the hilltop right now.

12. Derrick

May 22, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Welcome back. The pictures of Italy are sumptuous. If only they could have been viewed larger :( I guess you are trying to protect your work? Anyway it’s excellent.

13. Michael Preston

May 22, 2010 at 9:17 pm

David, I wish I was smart enough to put into words how absolutely beautiful and stunning your images from Italy are. Thanks a million for posting them.

14. May 23, 2010 at 12:34 am

Welcome home!

I already pre-ordered your third book, can’t wait to start reading it!

15. Andy Wilson

May 23, 2010 at 7:07 am

Love the mediterranean colours. And that blue/gold polariser :) Hope I can get to Italy one day.

16. May 23, 2010 at 7:39 am

Another iPad geek, wanting some HTML5 love! Beautiful photos David, I think I could smell the cappuccino in one of those shots! Looking forward to keeping up with all the new releases.

17. CJ Kern

May 23, 2010 at 8:13 am

After see the pics from iWTF and reading Stuart’s post I’m more excited then ever about joining you in Kathmandu! Can’t wait.

18. Miguel Rus

May 23, 2010 at 10:49 am

I’m anxious on getting Vision & Voice in my hands :D

19. Bill

May 23, 2010 at 2:38 pm

That’s an absolutely wonderful collection of images- The way you push yourself creatively continues to inspire me every day! Thank you so much for that.

20. Kathleen D

May 23, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Heading to Italy in a month and your photos wetted my appetite. Loved the picture pointed upward at the sky with the four sides of buildings in a square surrounding it. Care to share your settings on that one and any tips on shooting such a situation?

21. Kathleen D

May 23, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Forgot to mention I am also an iPad owner and would love to view your slideshows in HTML5. Your work is stunning! Thanks.

22. May 24, 2010 at 2:50 am

Beautiful images. Thanks.

23. Mike B

May 24, 2010 at 8:06 am

I enjoyed the slide show. Thank you for sharing.

24. Ed

May 24, 2010 at 8:33 am

David, fantastic images and post. Wow you’ve got a lot of things going on. No rest for the wicked eh. When you get an idea you act on it, I can empathize with that sentiment so it’s no wonder you’ve started the 4th book already. All the best, maybe one day I can beg/borrow etc. to paraphrase Stuart, and get on a Within the Frame trip.

25. May 24, 2010 at 9:21 am

Excellent images in your slide show, enjoyed it very much.

26. liisa

May 24, 2010 at 12:41 pm

As always, beautiful and inspiring images. Can’t wait for Vision & Voice. The artist in me is always trying to get out when I’m geeking in Lightroom. Now it’ll have some help!

27. May 24, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Hey David, Nice slideshow. How about a tutorial on how to put a SSP slideshow on to one’s blog?

28. May 25, 2010 at 9:31 am

Really enjoyed the Italy images, especially the ones of everyday people going about their daily lives.

Thanks for sharing.

29. May 25, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Italy looks great. I could only hope to try and attain the quality of work you put out during my own travels. Can’t wait for the new book. Twiddling my fingers until I get my hands on it. Take care.

30. May 26, 2010 at 7:35 am

Amazing work David – as usual. I haven’t visited the blog in awhile so it’s nice to get caught up. I have such a desire to travel internationally specifically for photography and your shots only make me want to travel more. I look forward to the ebooks and I’ll stop by more often now that you’re not traveling for a few months.

31. June 2, 2010 at 9:53 pm

[…] Since I reviewed 10 last August – Craft & Vision has released 10 more titles – with a bunch in the pipeline. […]

32. Keith

June 4, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Hey David,
    Do you know if Vision and Voice will be available in an Ebook so it can be read on an IPAD? Does Peachpit do this?

Thanks.

Keith

33. July 13, 2010 at 12:35 am

[…] Not many new images are captured at present as I am writing on an e-book. […]