Jun 16th

2010

Vision In Motion

This is my silhouette, in Italy, cunningly disguised as someone shooting video on a DSLR. Photo credit: Jens Stachowitz.

Video has become the next big thing in photography. Weird, huh? While I’ve ranted about the convergence of still and moving pictures before, it’s not because I don’t love where this is all taking us as creatives. I just get bent out of shape when everyone out there is already wrestling with their craft and suddenly the camera manufacturers and industry leaders put the pressure on to learn video. Video capability in today’s DSLRs is amazing, and some people will grab this by the horns and tell some amazing stories.  And some people, myself included, will have cameras with beautiful video capability and never learn how to record a single frame of video. Video is a separate language entirely and it means an investment in time and money to learn how to shoot, edit, sweeten audio, etc. If you thought still photography was expensive…

Still, there’s no denying the movement is here to stay, and mostly for the good, I think. This generation of visual storytellers has an unprecedented amount of tools at their disposal. To that end, I want to point you to one of those resources and share with you the next release in the Craft & Vision library, which will release at the end of the month.

First, Think Tank Photo has just released The Multimedia DSLR Buyer’s Guide and it’s packed with really solid recommendations to help you navigate through the forest of new gear you’ll need to understand. It’s been put together to support the marketing on their line of multimedia bags, which are an amazing piece of gear in themselves for video and multimedia people, but it’s a really helpful resource. And it’s free. You can find that HERE on the Think Tank Photo site.

Second, at the end of the month Craft & Vision will be releasing Trevor Meier’s Vision In Motion, an eBook written by a guy who is both a professional stills photographer and film-maker. It discusses the core issues of motion storytelling and for anyone who is wanting to begin dabbling with the video capabilities on their DSLR, it’s a great primer. It won’t teach you how to use your camera, but it’ll open your eyes to the issues involved in moving from stills to motion and help you get your footing as you learn to use your camera to begin speaking this entirely different visual language. Together with some of the great online resources out there you should be able to wrap your mind around some of these issues and begin filling harddrive after harddrive of footage. You Tube is already getting a restraining order knowing that if one more cat video is uploaded it will simultaneously crash their servers and cause a tear in the fabric of the universe. So please, for the love of Soderburgh, learn to do this well. :-) Vision In Motion will be out end of the month and we’ll let you know when. As always, it’ll be $5. Or less.

And next month? We unveil a whole new Craft&Vision website, all the Craft&Vision books as apps on the app store, and a couple more books to inspire and educate. The new site allows reviews to be posted and we’ll be asking for your help with that, and putting an iPad on the line. Stay tuned!

1. Robert Toborek

June 16, 2010 at 9:49 am

Not a bad thought. Video has its advantages; it would be nice to enhance its quality. An iPad, huh? Nice!

2. Stuart Sipahigil

June 16, 2010 at 10:34 am

A new Craft & Vision website in July? Wow! That’s gonna be awesome!

3. June 16, 2010 at 10:55 am

The extent of my video taking has been short clips to put in Animoto slideshows. That works well. You don’t need to know anything about making movies that way.

It sure is hard to get good focus without other tools with the live view screen on my D90 though.

4. June 16, 2010 at 11:17 am

The day I can’t tell my story with just one frame, I’ll start video. Until then, I enjoy the challenge of using just one moment to tell a story.

Looking forward to the app-versions of the C&V books!

5. June 16, 2010 at 11:35 am

Looking forward to the new site and the upcoming Craft and Vision releases.

Will the app version of the books allow us to play an audio snippet by you where the “correct” pronunciation of the word process is given?

6. ed

June 16, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I’ve been following your blog for quite some time because I love your work. I used to get excited to come here to read new posts and pick up some pointers or supplemental information about photography that wasn’t contained in your books. I’m a little sad to see that the blog has evolved into a site that now does little more than promote e-books. I’m all for you getting paid for your work and I’ve purchased several of your e-books, but it would be great if you would still offer some insight (supplemental to e-books or not) that instead of promoting e-books would promote discussion amongst your readers.

7. June 16, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Ed, sorry to hear that. We’d miss you as a reader but I think you underestimate the time and energy it takes to maintain this free resource for you. We’ve got alot going on and I’m often gone for long stretches. I’m making it a priority to contribute something meaningful as often as I can think of ideas to share, but it’s just not as easy as I’d like it to be. Still, I’m working on not losing balance. If you can stick around a while longer and perhaps allow your expectations to shift a little, great. If not, thanks for being on board while you have been.

8. June 16, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Ed – just did a quick tally. Since June 1st I’ve posted 11 articles, of those only 3 were related to books, one was a free wallpaper, and the remaining were articles that seemed to get a fair share of community interaction. Help me out here, what do you suggest is an appropriate ratio? I don’t mean at all to sound defensive, and in the end it’s my blog and I’ll do as i please, but as this is a blog I create as a resource and an avenue for engaging the community in a number of ways, perhaps you could provide a little more than a criticism (valid as it is) without suggestions on a more desirable balance. Thoughts?

9. Deb

June 16, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I have been loving the eBooks, and I’m excited to see one on video from someone who is also a photographer. I picked up a Flip last year, which is as basic as you can get. There are some things that video is really nice for. It is more challenging (even with a Flip!) than I thought it would be, it’s such a different mindset.

One question regarding the apps, though: any plans to get them on Android, or is it going to be just an apple thing?

10. June 16, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Boy howdy, you hit the nail on the head that video is a completely different animal. Having done it for a while back when footage was recorded on magnetic tape, I can tell you the biggest hurdle is that you need a crew. One person can take a world-beating photo. Making a decent video without a crew is like building a house all by yourself with nothing but hand tools.

11. June 16, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Why is it that everyone else seems to see Narnia but all I see is a wardrobe with a hole in the back? Video is just a marketing-driven fad, right? RIGHT?!!

Humor aside, I don’t get it. Ranting about it won’t help, but suffice it to say that I’m not interested. I am curious, however, to see if David integrates video into the “gear is good, vision is better” theme.

12. Andy Wilson

June 16, 2010 at 3:51 pm

This book is well timed. Over the next six months I am likely to have a bit more time to work on the craft side and have been wondering about whether or not the time (and financial) commitment is worth it to develop what is, as has been stated, a significantly different method of visual story telling. This book should help a lot.

The new site sounds interesting. Look forward to seeing how it works out.

13. marjan

June 16, 2010 at 4:41 pm

really looking forward to this new book david – i really need some assistance with my video skills. i much prefer taking still photos (love the creativity involved) but with my family at the other site of the world i take short clips of the babies on this site of the world. i want to do this well and creatively but have not been able to do this yet – this book will hopefully help me improve my video skills.

14. ed

June 16, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Hi David,
    I understand that this is a free resource you provide to your readers and ultimately you have the freedom to do what you want. What you put out does provide great value to the photographer community, which is why I continue to come visit your site along with the rest of your following. I think I was just spoiled by the days of the blog before the e-books started flooding in. I wasn’t exactly referring to a ratio of how often you should post about e-books, but rather the way that those posts seem to be presented as ads to me. I really enjoy your e-books and some of the ones that you recommend, but the discussions usually end there. I think that following up and taking the material a step further to open discussion on what’s covered in the e-books would be great. Maybe that’s not what you envision for your site and if so, that’s fine. I just thought that there is a wealth of knowledge and curiosity in your reader base that could be tapped into. The great thing about your other posts is that they provoke your readers to think and share their thoughts. You’ve developed a great community and I think getting them to contribute their perspectives is always a bonus. I’ve been a bit shy as I am still picking up the craft and developing my vision, but hope to stick around and contribute more in the future.
    Cheers,
    Ed

June 16, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Ed – Thanks for seeing my invitation for feedback for what it is – a genuine interest in continuing to serve the community while still somehow finding the time to get everything else into my day as well. I’ve been swinging a bit out of balance on things lately – so much going on and so many obligations pulling me in different directions. I’m trying to remain relevant and as free with my time as I can be on the blog. I’m hoping to get in at least one post weekly that generates discussion. We tried forums here once and they took a lot of maintenance and frankly as I got less able to spend time on them they kind of fizzled. Just not sure how to do it all. Anyways thanks for your patience. I’m not afraid of some kind criticism and your feedback’s helpful – thank you.

16. marjan

June 16, 2010 at 7:27 pm

one discussion post a week is very generous david and as you know loved far and wide

17. June 16, 2010 at 8:32 pm

looking forward to the whole new Craft&Vision website!!

18. sabrina

June 23, 2010 at 8:36 am

Ed,

I hope you’ll pop over to the new Facebook Page for Craft and Vision located at http://www.facebook.com/CraftAndVision. We’d love to have you participate in or start a discussion.

Sabrina.