Jul 27th

2010

Where In The World, July 28-August 10, 2010

Today (July 28th) my friend Dave Delnea and I are jumping a plane for Iceland. When we hit Reykjavik we load our tent, sleeping bags, and way too much fleece and goretex into the SUV, along with a few too many peli-cases full of gear, and hit the open road. This is easily the most ad hoc trip I’ve ever done; our planning is limited to: A. Having plane tickets and B. Having a rental car reservation. Other that we’ve not a clue which direction we’re heading, where we’re setting up camp each night, or what we’re pointing our lenses towards. I couldn’t be more excited! Also, they have puffins and fjords, so who wouldn’t be pumped about that?

Tomorrow (July 29th) we launch a new eBook on the Craft & Vision site, so details, along with the usual discounts because we’re suckers and we love you, will be posted here. There’s an August desktop wallpaper coming, but it’ll be a day late, and there’s a post scheduled for the middle of the first week of August too. So don’t disappear on me. If I can get a postcard off to you, I will, but don’t be holding your breath. I’ve got glaciers and volcanoes and puffins and stuff to explore.

The map above shows you my travels for the coming months as well as this trip. Click it to embiggen it. See you soon!

1. July 27, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Be safe, have a fabulous trip and bring home memories to share.

Looking forward to the new eBook

2. July 27, 2010 at 10:45 pm

You are going to have such and adventure. Iceland and its people are beautiful!

3. July 27, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Doing the same in four weeks :-)

4. Johan Bengtsson

July 27, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Except puffins and fjords, make sure to also have time to listen in to there story telling, poetry etc (if they tell in English). Not so long a go that they had one TV free evening every week and people met in different places to share there latest with each other.
    Have a great trip!

5. Denny Wells

July 28, 2010 at 12:29 am

Wow, Kho Samet in your future. What are your plans there? It was one of our favorite hidden gems when we were in the Peace Corps in Thailand. One of the few places in Thailand that attracts both Thai and western tourists.

6. Paul J

July 28, 2010 at 12:52 am

Wow, that is some travel itinerary over the next couple of months. I’m amazed how you keep everything on track jumping from one country to another.

Still, lots of time on planes to think about more books and blog posts I guess. :-)

Have a great trip and looking forward to seeing a least a couple of photographs.

7. Luis Rosales

July 28, 2010 at 12:57 am

Mmmm… A Visit to Mexico is due!!

November is just the right time for the National Selectives towards the Special Olympics… ;)

8. July 28, 2010 at 1:14 am

Iceland is superb and I’m sure you’ll have a great time!

When will you be in NZ?

9. Kate Watson

July 28, 2010 at 1:30 am

What will you be doing in New Zealand and where will you be located? We’ll be there around that time, too, probably on the south island.

10. July 28, 2010 at 1:48 am

Oh how I envy you. Almost exactly 2 yeas ago I’ve done the same thing and loved every minute of it.
    You should not miss little visited nothwest Westfjords part, but the whole Iceland is stunning.
    I’m sure you’ve seen tons of photos from Iceland so I might as well contribute :-) It’s a dump of a “little bit for everyone” kind but perhaps you’ll see somethng you like http://bit.ly/9U8mQz

11. July 28, 2010 at 4:41 am

The trips without itineraries are the most fun. Have a great time, we look forward to seeing the images from “the Dave’s”.

12. July 28, 2010 at 5:02 am

Been there, but only 4 days, and with only a point-and-shoot. I’d love (LOVE) to go back with some decent gear and do the entire country right.

You’ll love it. Can’t wait to read all about it.

13. July 28, 2010 at 5:18 am

Wow, puffins… even bigger WOW, all the beauty of them in their natural habitat! Looking forward to seeing your photographs and reading about your adventures. I’m also looking forward to tomorrow’s release of the next e-book. Have a great time and a safe journey, and may your high expectations be surpassed.

14. July 28, 2010 at 6:29 am

Wonder how your tendency to shoot people will work over there since there is very little of that :-)
    Anyway, don’t skip north-western part Westfjords, very isolated and beautiful. Been there few years back and loved the whole island, but WF especially.
    Some photos from 2 years ago http://www.radonic.net/webalbum/iceland/start.html

15. Art Yochim

July 28, 2010 at 7:20 am

Wow, are we on the same planet? The same species? That sounds great and I’m envious. For the next 10 days I will be getting char-broiled in 30 degree heat, feeding mosquitoes and spending 10+ hour days counting weeds. And this is the “fun” part of my year. I would much rather be somewhere else taking pictures! Have fun.

16. July 28, 2010 at 7:50 am

embiggen it. that’s awesome.
    Have a fantastic trip. Looking forward to seeing some of the results!

17. July 28, 2010 at 9:11 am

You should contact Rebekka (http://www.rebekkagudleifs.com/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/rebba/) and see if she has some location ideas. Have fun! Wish I was there! :)

18. Judy

July 28, 2010 at 9:22 am

Iceland is a magical place. I have just returned from my third visit…sadly this time high winds and fog but the people are wonderful! I highly recommend the guest house/camping at Steig and Skatafell National park…but going where the spirit moves is even more wonderful I will look forward to viewing the images!

19. July 28, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Man…first Trey Ratcliff from stuckincustoms.com goes to Iceland. Now you. I…I really need to get to Iceland!! Hope you have a wonderful trip!!!

20. July 28, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Icelandair keeps tempting me with great offers, so I know I’ll have to be going back sometime soon. I did the “rent a car and see where it takes me” trip last time but, alas, only for 4 days. I plan on doing a longer, camping trip next time.
    When you go to Akureyri, check out the penis museum, just so you can tell people you did.

21. July 28, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Have a great trip, I have heard great things about the beauty of Iceland. Looking forward to hearing about the trip and seeing the images

22. ML Richardson

July 28, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Volcanoes and glaciers and puffins oh my!

(sorry, couldn’t resist)

23. July 29, 2010 at 5:16 am

Ah, spontaneous creativity (or was it combustion?); no, with your track record, it will surely be hot creativity. Let your muse lead the way. Good luck, safe journey, can’t wait to see the gems you create and the stories that go with them. :)

24. July 29, 2010 at 11:59 pm

You were in Poland? or did I misunderstood the map? :)

25. July 31, 2010 at 11:46 am

keep the creative juices flowing, and have a safe trip back home.

26. August 8, 2010 at 5:40 pm

NZ is awesome and the people are very Canadian like, you’ll love it there. Make sure you meet some of the local indigenous maori people and get their stories.

so many amazing places there, where to begin? I know some photographers there is you want to connect.