Oct 21st

2010

The Cobbler’s Children

A moral and an update this evening.

A year ago I said I was going to re-do my online portfolios. Promised myself an overhaul. I was going to give some thought to an updated logo and a website overhaul. And then Craft & Vision exploded all over me and it’s taken this long to clean it up. But you know what they say, planning is really only guessing, and you can never anticipate the road ahead or the things that will come your way as a result. So it’s now over a year later, and the cobbler’s children still have no shoes. But they have something much better. A year ago I could never have anticipated the route this would all take and if I had stuck to the plan I might now have a very snazzy website but not being doing some of the projects I am most enjoying right now.Craft & Vision is one of those. So are some of the recent personal trips. In December I’m going to Jamaica and bringing a housing and learning to do some underwater stuff. All things I never planned.

The moral of the story is to hold things lightly, plans included. Be open and receptive. Same thing happened two years ago. I was looking to fill gaps in my schedule, and started a small brand called RedCollar, a studio devoted to photographing pets and their owners. I was pretty excited about it. And then I got a book deal. What to do, what to do. :-) Sticking to the plan would have me knee deep in drool and hair balls; being receptive to things not going to plan has given me something much, much better.

The update is that I’m now on track with a new portfolio site – replacing Evrium’s Fluid Galleries with LiveBooks and a companion site for the iPhone/iPad, as well as splitting things out from PixelatedImage which will soon only be this blog and related community. My own work will wind up at DavidduChemin.com and will have my more recent work, all in much larger images. I’m pumped by how beautiful it’s going to look. In addition to that I’m unveiling my new logo. With the changes over the last few years, and a move towards including fine art and landscape photography, and in the near future a little more adventure photography, I needed something new and more representative of where I am going. I wanted something retro, something a little timeless and classy and clean. I kind of wanted the graphic lovechild of deco and swiss inspired design. And I wanted a DC-03 airplane. So there may be tweaks, but the artwork at the top of this post is the new look for the new brand that will represent my personal work. It’s small, I know, but you’ll have to wait for the whole thing to be unveiled.

Sorry this one’s a little detail-y and completely free from rants. Getting home is always a mixed bag – nice to be home but digging through the pile is tiring. And then there’s the jet lag. It’s not even 6pm and I doubt I’m going to make it past 6:15pm. Today was exhausting, but exhilarating. Got so much done, including placing orders for new gear (remember the post I promised about adding Nikon to my toolbox? It’s coming) and dealing with paperwork for an Antarctica trip I’m taking next December (2011) with Andy Biggs, John Paul Caponigro, and Seth Resnick – but I’m wiped. More to come, but not tonight. :-) Goodnight, friends.

Bonus: My partner-in-crime, Jeffrey Chapman has posted a photograph of me skinny dipping with my Gitzo and Canon 1DsMkIII in Kho Samet. Anything to get the shot. :-) Don’t worry, it’s suitable for work (depending on where you work!) See Jeffrey’s blog HERE.

1. October 21, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I like it. Definitely a new look, and it says a whole lot differently than your old “look.” Rock on!

2. Mark Olwick

October 21, 2010 at 6:17 pm

With all the landscape, fine art and adventure photography, where does the humanitarian part fit?

October 21, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Still doing that too, Mark. I love the world and it’s people, for all the glory and ugliness and stuff in between. I don’t see a real dividing line, in fact. Harm the natural world is harm done to those of us living in it. Id’ argue conservation – not that I’m planning to be a conservation photographer – is a matter of justice and humanitarian effort, though not exclusively. And personally, I am not pursuing the humanitarian stuff commercially like I used to. I have enough clients and NGOs that want to work with me, so the new site is more a chance to show what I do, to share it, than it is to really market myself in a hard focused way. But I’m shifting, to be sure. Becoming a little more inclusive in my work.

4. October 21, 2010 at 6:24 pm

David, always glad to keep track of you travels and transformations within our art. I have been reading everything you have been producing and I think it has made me a better photographer and has also taught me to not stand pat. I am still trying to determine where my photography fits in my life. I have a “real” job that pays the bills and supports the family for which I am truly thankful. But I really feel photography will always be a part of me and I am just trying to figure out how it can coexist with my real life and the photographer I dream to be. I like the DC-03 in the logo and certainly reflects your talent to photograph the world we live in. And Antarctica sounds fantastic!

5. CJ Kennedy

October 21, 2010 at 6:26 pm

David: As someone with a two-year plan to vocational, I can only imagine the pace you must keep. Glad you made it home and have (made) time to work on the new stuff.

Take care, C.J.

6. October 21, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Ah I love this craft. I find myself up late, tired and absorbed in moving forward in my photo business as well. Photography is an exciting craft and it pushes my abilities in everything I do. Organizing and working in photography is definetly addicting. Thanks for your work David, always enjoy reading your adventures.

7. October 21, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Love the style and space in the new logo. That DC-03 is a sweet touch. Would love a blog post on the process of designing – and if you hired a designer. Congrats!

8. Marge

October 21, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Sweet dreams, David :)

9. October 21, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Love the new logo, now I see why you were so attached to your PanAm hat!

10. October 21, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Beautiful. Very retro. But that is not a DC-3. So you went with this? Why not the Douglas?

11. October 21, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Congratulations on your continued successes David. Don’t forget the little people *sniff*

12. October 21, 2010 at 6:56 pm

[...] more here: The Cobbler’s Children This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged craft, evening, online, updated-logo, vision, [...]

October 21, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Thanks guys. Sniff. You’re too kind. Except Justin, he’s just sarcastic :-P

Matt, it’s DC-3-ish. I’m not an airplane guy. I did a search for DC-3, and I found an image of a model that I traced. I was looking for art-deco feeling airplane, not something I could fly :-)

14. October 21, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Hey David,

It sounds like you’ve got some drive back since I read your post from Kathmandu. Keep up the great work! Definitley love the new look and can’t wait to see the rest! :)

15. October 21, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Matt is right that is not a DC3. However I believe it is a C45 Beechcraft Expeditor. Both are WW2 aircraft. But if you want a ubiquitous bird, which can still be seen most anywhere in the world; the DC3 is the one you want.

16. October 21, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Planning is overrated. I’m glad you’ve changed your path a few times. Well done, indeed. And you are infinitely more valuable as you are than you probably ever could have been as a pet photographer. Not meaning any slight to pet photographers at all – I would love to be one, myself.

17. October 21, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Very cool. Excited to see the whole new thing unfold. Definitely love the new look already. It can be so amazing to be flexible when opportunities present themselves. Sounds like you’ve made some wonderful choices.

18. DickL in Tampa

October 21, 2010 at 8:39 pm

If you find a real DC-3 and if you need someone to fly it, ping me. I was a DC-3 instructor pilot in the USAF in a previous life.

19. October 22, 2010 at 12:10 am

Of course the irony is golden. But, it’s a choice, isn’t it? Either create great images and play catchup on the “business” end, or create a great business plan and struggle to fill it with compelling work. The latter is where I was a few years back and it ain’t a very exciting place to be.

Anyway, the “branding” looks cool and suits your current work.

20. October 22, 2010 at 12:29 am

Definitely dig the new logo and look. The whole vintage-adventure feel works.

21. October 22, 2010 at 12:39 am

LOVING the new logo and sympathizing with you on the jet lag. Antarctica sounds amazing.

22. Andy Wilson

October 22, 2010 at 2:47 am

“I was looking for art-deco feeling airplane, not something I could fly :-)

That’s a relief! I’d gladly fly with you into Leh again but not on a DC3 (or Beechcraft) that you were piloting! :)

Wishing you success with the expansion.

23. October 22, 2010 at 3:53 am

Not that you’re going to fly it, but that looks like a Lockheed 10 Electra to me. Maybe. If so, it predates the DC-3 (by just a year or so). Doesn’t mater. I like the new look.

24. October 22, 2010 at 4:57 am

Hi David,
    I never has written here before so first of all, congratulations for your work and the beautiful and clear way of teach it. I read you since 1 year more or less.
    I only want to say you that for me your new logo doesn´t say “photographer” anywhere, ok, yes i can read it, but, as in photography, i could read something but feel something very different, and that it´s what i feel with your new logo, you could tell me photography in words, but it feels more about those planes that throw food boxes in Africa.
    Of course it isn´t more than a personal opinion.
    Thank you for your blog and please forgive my poor english, it´s very complicated when i try to write.
    Leo

25. CJ Kennedy

October 22, 2010 at 5:54 am

David: Like the idea of the new logo. Since you are established this gives a new “pop” both professionally and personally. I’m honestly not sure about this logo but it isn’t my logo. I personally don’t like when people just agree with me. I agree with Leo that it lacks something that was so clear before. But, as you said, the final isn’t there yet to reflect more of what you are doing. Anyway, I like that you are open to change. Love your blog and books. Thanks for sharing with us!
    CJ

26. Ed

October 22, 2010 at 7:44 am

David, good luck with the re-design, new portfolio website and all the changes or shifts in direction. Sounds like an exciting time for you and I’m glad you don’t need to give up the humanitarian work to accommodate all this. The new logo definitely speaks about travel and adventure to me in that retro Indiana Jones kinda-way. Someday I hope to join you on one of those trips!

27. October 22, 2010 at 7:54 am

I’ll reiterate what some other are saying. I’m not sure about the new logo either. It could be that I am so attached to your old logo, which I thought was perfect. But things are changing for you, and I’m sure you know what you want to convey and, if anyone does, you know how to do take things in a different direction. Best of luck!

28. Alton Marsh

October 22, 2010 at 9:49 am

The Beech 18 had a military model, the C-45, and both look very much like the model used here. The Lockheed 10 looks similar, but with a fatter fuselage. Could be all three.

29. October 22, 2010 at 10:09 am

Really cool “Indiana Jones” reminiscence coming from that logo. I think it really suits with the broader range of images you’ve been shooting the last months.
    Thanks for your amazing pics, your books and for keeping updated this blog.

30. Dean Forbes

October 25, 2010 at 9:02 am

David, I’ve been following you and Karl Grobl via your blogs for some time. Both of you have inspired me take a first step toward a possible “early retirement career” as a photographer for NGOs. On Thursday I leave on vacation from my day job to go to India for three weeks. Most of m time will be spend documenting water and sanitation projects. This will be a challenging experience and a time of learning. Can’t wait to go! Peace.

October 25, 2010 at 9:43 am

Dean – Safe travels to you. Drop a line when you’re back. :-)

32. October 25, 2010 at 6:28 pm

David: Great to hear your updating the site and really look forward to seeing larger images.

Just one question: What is up with the airplane? I don’t get it, I mean if I just seen it i wouldn’t associate it with photography in anyway, so i guess i don’t understand the marketing concept with it. Do you fly or something?

33. October 26, 2010 at 9:51 am

@ T-roy: “What is up with the airplane?”
    Ubique terrarum – working all over the world.

The only gripe I have with the plane logo is that it’s obviously run out of fuel and is gliding to a rough touchdown … (Technical hint: When taking photos of propeller planes in the air the shutter speed should be long enough to show the propeller movement, exactly to avoid this impression of stopped engines) ;-)

October 26, 2010 at 10:01 am

Andreas – The concept you see here was just rough art – a couple of you noticed the props not spinning – they’ve been given the proper motion in the final artwork. Thanks!