Nov 23rd

2011

Antarctica Bound.

Not Antarctica. Iceland, 2010.

In a couple days I jump a plane to Buenos Aires, then Ushuaia, and from there a boat across the Drake Passage to Antarctica. I’m joining John Paul Caponigro and friends for the short trip to photograph the light and ice. It’s long been an ambition to photograph on all 7 continents, so before I turn 40 on December 24, I’m checking off the 7th continent. I’m a little nervous. I’ve packed trekking poles and hoping they’ll keep me somewhat upright; my walking cane sure won’t help. :-)

So I’ve packed my Icebreaker woolies and Patagonia wet-gear, and as much gear as I can fit into my Think Tank Streetwalker Pro backpack – Two Nikon D3s bodies, Nikon 16-35/4.0 lens, Zeiss 50/1.4, Nikon 85/1.8, and Sigma 70-200/2.8 lenses, a handful of batteries, Four 64GB CF cards and a bunch of Singh Ray filters. No tripod. No flash. I’m still humming and hawing about my 24mm TS-E lens.

I’ll be gone until December 11, when I return and head into what I hope is the last surgery on my feet. I’m told it’s superficial – just the removal of a plate and shaving some bone, they say. Doesn’t sound superficial to me. Superficial is removing a hang nail, not shaving bones. Anyways, listen, things have been light around here but I’m really hoping to take you with me to Antarctica. I’m told there’s internet access on the boat and I’d like to fire off as many postcards as I can. In the mean time, Craft & Vision is doing a Black Friday blowout this Friday, including offering $40 Gift Cards for $20, as well as some great bundles. There won’t be a blog post, so just stay tuned to the Craft & Vision twitter feed (@CraftAndVision) And then on December 1st, we’re launching another ebook – and this time it’s absolutely free (but you didn’t hear that from me.) So tune in. :-)

(Antarctica! I am SO stoked. Hear that giggling? That’s me. :-) )

**Updated: Just re-read my materials (I’m not known for careful research) and it seems I can get email but there’s no Internet. So I’ll be posting my Postcards from Antarctica as soon as my boots hit land again and I’ve got a connection. Sorry. :-(

1. November 23, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I’m so jealous! Have a fabulous time and I look forward to the postcards. :)

2. Beate Dalbec

November 23, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Oh Antarctica! Fabulous! Have an amazing trip!!!

3. November 23, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Have a great trip David – look forward to hearing all about it. 7 continents under 40 – quite an accomplishment!

4. November 23, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Safe travels! Have a great trip! Looking forward to the postcards. (And I’m sure you can borrow a tripod if you have to…;)

5. November 23, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Hi David,
    I wish you a fantastic experience. Antarctica sure is a special place. I’m sure your legs will be fine !!
    Look forward to seeing your photos.
    D

6. November 23, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Very cool David. Have an awesome trip. I wonder if I can fit in my remaining 5 continents before 40. I’ve got another 9 months…;-) Look forward to the postcards!

7. Robert

November 23, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Lucky, you… ;-P
    Have a safe trip!

8. November 23, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Safe travels. I hope you have a wonderful time.

9. Grace

November 23, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Stay warm. Be safe. If you get too cold, come and swing by Sydney, I’ll shout you a nice, warm coffee and make you some soup :)

I’m sure you’ll punish your gears. I can’t wait to see the images!

10. November 23, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Antarctica is on my ‘to do’ list – very envious! Have a fabulous time and I’m looking forward to the images.

11. November 23, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Safe travels, David! Just don’t lean out too far over the railing on the ship to get that shot you know you’re gonna want. Maybe you should tether yourself just in case. :)

12. Maarten

November 23, 2011 at 5:06 pm

It will be awesome, enjoy! But I was wondering whether you’re sure about leaving the tripod home, you’re not afraid about shaking from the cold or being able to operate the camera with rather think gloves on? Say hi to my fellow Belgians who are crossing the continent on foot (http://www.antarcticice.be/)

13. Tanja

November 23, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Removing a plate should not be a huge surgery… (if it is one close to a joint, you could even gain some more movement)
    I wish you all the best for your trip to Antarctica!

14. November 23, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Have a great trip! And though you didn’t ask — if it’s worth anything — I’d toss in the 24mm TS “just in case”.

Look forward to the photos. Safe travels.

15. Charlotte

November 23, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Enjoy your time there!

16. November 23, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Safe Traveling and happy shooting! Can’t wait to see some pictures! Prayers for a smooth, uneventful surgery.

17. PD

November 23, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Ice and light, the two best things ever! Yahoo!!!Can’t wait to see what you’ve seen. Lee Valley sells those ice grip things for footwear, I hear they’re great.

18. November 23, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Hope you have a great trip. I got to six continents fairly quickly. But, Antarctica – not yet.

And, maybe put the 24PCE in the bag.

19. November 23, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I’m turning 40 on the 27th December! What is it with parents and having their kids so close to Christmas? Here’s hoping you get more than one set of presents. :)

20. Sharon

November 23, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Safe trip….sounds wonderful!

21. Michae Petty

November 23, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Hope you have a great trip. Sounds like a great opportunity.

22. November 23, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I don’t think you will miss the tripod. I’m sure there will be plenty of them with the other photogs, so you can always borrow one, I’m sure.

It will be a great trip with JPC, have a whale of a time.

23. November 23, 2011 at 6:53 pm

beautiful trip. Sucess.
    Desejo sucesso e paz. Que a Luz lhe traga boas fotos.

24. November 23, 2011 at 7:04 pm

David, see you in the Houston airport. Looking forward to a very nice voyage to the frozen continent. Hopefully we will have some smooth sailing across the Drake (yuk yuk, ain’t gonna happen) and some wonderful photo opportunities. See you in a few days.

25. November 23, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Hi David,
    Greetings from Petra, Jordan.
    good luck on the trip and the surgery…. should be great…
    See you in Jan

26. November 23, 2011 at 7:25 pm

David, I went to Antarctica last year. I have an ankle with limited mobility and a bulging disc in my neck and I did fine. The Drake Passage will probably be the most difficult part if there are high seas.

27. Edith Levy

November 23, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Have an amazing time David. I can hardly wait to see your photos.

28. November 23, 2011 at 9:20 pm

have a fabulous time, do take the t/s, and when’s the antarctica workshop??? wishing you safe travels and fantastic light… enjoy!

29. November 23, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Safe Traveling and happy shooting! We’ll be waiting for excelent photos

30. November 23, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I take it for granted that some sort of spikes to attach under your boots are on the packing list? Safe travels!

31. November 23, 2011 at 11:19 pm

What?! Not taking the hassy?

Picture me with a surprised look on my face…

32. Duncan Fawkes

November 23, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Pure awesome! Trip of a lifetime, but then I’m sure I say that every time you go somewhere lol! Enjoy and safe, upright travels!

33. November 24, 2011 at 2:00 am

Good luck with your trip David! Can’t wait for your postcards :)

34. November 24, 2011 at 3:35 am

Top of my bucket list for travel destinations – so maybe before I turn 40…. I’ll actually stop thinking about it and just do it. But for now, the opportunity of Iceland is next (June)

35. November 24, 2011 at 4:05 am

what????? No underwater housing David? Whimp! ;-)

36. November 24, 2011 at 6:43 am

Wow, fantastic. Have a blast and I can’t wait to see the postcards! Have so much fun and take all kinds of care.

37. November 24, 2011 at 7:25 am

Cool, sounds like a fantastic trip. Hope you have a wonderful time. Looking forward to seeing what kinds of shots you get. Be safe and have fun!

38. An

November 24, 2011 at 7:57 am

Wow, sounds amazing! Can’t wait to see your pictures! Have a great time!

39. November 24, 2011 at 9:36 am

Truely the trip of a lifetime, enjoy all of it. You will need less clothing than you might guess. Disembarking the zodiac may be a challenge if you are not yet as sure footed as when you were 38. Regards to JP, Seth and the Quark crew.

40. Ekta Saran

November 24, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Oh My! It’s going to be amazing. Safe travels, David! Can’t wait to hear all about it.

41. Robert

November 24, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Just to be pedantic, if you’re getting email you’re getting the Internet. Sounds more like you have no World Wide Web access, which isn’t quite the same thing.

In any case, sounds like it will do you good — a new continent, and nothing to distract you from the photography :-)

42. November 24, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Hey David!

I live in Buenos Aires not far from the international airport; let me know if you need a ride, want to share a cup of coffee… or a steak!

Saludos,
    Federico

43. November 24, 2011 at 6:41 pm

What? No 500CM? Doesn’t the boat have a Noritsu?…:)

Anyway, have a great trip…hope you get some great images.

44. Roger

November 25, 2011 at 6:18 am

So much gear. I already hear you say: Gear is good – vision is better! Have a save trip.

45. November 25, 2011 at 10:24 am

Hey David,

You will love Antarctica…it is a magical place and the light is simply incredible. My wife and i were there in Feb 2010 and I will be returning for sure…

Looking forward to seeing your images from there…

Enjoy it and hope the surgery goes well and you are up and about shortly afterwards

46. November 25, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Hi David, Have a fantastic trip – its a great way to celebrate a milestone birthday. I’m looking forward to seeing your images on your return. Cheers Emma

47. Barb White

November 25, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Wow David…what a fantastic opportunity. Looking forward to seeing all your great shots when you return. Hope you packed a union suit or 2.
    Take care Barb

48. Parnell

November 25, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Enjoy! but just a word of caution. I had broken my elbow a while back moving a couch (long boring story) and I didn’t notice any change with temp until about 8 months afterwards. The cold really affects any metal close to the skin and I don’t notice it until its to late and it aches for a while after. I’ve just learned to be a little more cautious and wear layers. I don’t know what you’ll have left heading down there but I thought I’d pass along my life lessons.
    Savour your time down there!

49. nate parker

November 26, 2011 at 5:40 am

Bring the 24 Tilt! And have an Awesome time!

50. Debbi Koplen

December 2, 2011 at 10:20 am

David, I had the same surgery and it’s nothing compared to what you have been through. From someone who has been there, here is what to expect: Nothing from the removal of hardware except maybe even a little relief if it was bothering you before, and just a little stinging where they shave the bone, but that will go away in a couple of weeks and again, it’s NOTHING compared to what you have been through. Aspirin is all you’ll need afterwards if that. Good luck. Have an amazaing shoot in Antarctica!

51. May 26, 2012 at 10:12 am

[…] duChemin is Antarctica Bound – Remember David duChemin? The photographer that busted both feet and has gone through so much? Well, he’s back on the horse (with a cane I think?). […]