Sep 23rd

N68 W133 – Heading Home

Snow and fall colours in the Northwest Territories

I’m heading home now, after a long 12-hour day of driving that’s brought me a little closer to Vancouver, and a little further from the arctic where I’ve spent the last 3 weeks falling in love with the light and land. I’m now holed-up in a cheap little hotel in a town called Burns Lake, BC, about to crawl into my first real bed in three weeks and having just had my first shower in as long . Sure, there were half-hearted baths in mountain streams and glacial run-off, but those only last as long as you can feel your extremities, and that’s not long. Coming home – what I call “re-entry” -  is always hard. I’ve had three weeks of quiet, solitude, and beauty. Three weeks chasing the light and waking at 2am and 4am in hopes of catching the aurora. It paid off twice. But I’m going home with new photographs, some of which I am truly enchanted by, and with new stories and memories, and plans to return next year and – I hope – stay a little longer and travel a little further. I’ll do a fuller de-brief soon, but I have two more days driving, then a couple days photographing the orca off Vancouver Island with a friend, and a short trip to Tofino, another of the most beautiful places on the planet to do some exploring and, with a bit of luck, shoot some landscapes. So check in, but it’ll be a bit before I sit down and really tell you about this one.

North of Tombstone Territorial Park, YT.

Aurora borealis over Emily. Near Ross River, YT.

Caption Un-Necessary.

1. September 23, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Just read your post.Great .Awesome pics.Thank you.Take care.

2. September 23, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Thanks for sharing the experience. Amazing pics… wow, wow, wow!! :-)

3. September 23, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Wow, you are so happy ot that last photo ! :) Some good photographer capture pure emotion :)

When and where we can see your work?

4. September 23, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Looks absolutely amazing, David :) I’ve been holed up in my apartment writing books for much longer than I can stand … can’t wait to finally get out and start traveling again.

5. September 23, 2012 at 11:37 pm

“North of Tombstone Territorial Park, YT”: Wow, what a beautiful image.

6. September 24, 2012 at 12:29 am

love reading your post, and beautiful clicks too…
    Regards

7. September 24, 2012 at 12:37 am

Safe travel. Can’t wait to see the new pictures, the teaser of the images above has really whet my appetite.

8. queltica

September 24, 2012 at 12:47 am

So good to see you adventuring! Sans cane now? Wahoo!

9. September 24, 2012 at 1:32 am

Emily looks like she belongs under the stars of the northern sky. It’s great you’re planning another trip there again next year. Glad you’re on your way home and I look forward to seeing more of your stunning images and reading about your journey.

10. September 24, 2012 at 1:49 am

Love reading the updates about your adventures, you even mentioned somewhere I have visited – Tofino! Looking forward to seeing your images from this trip.

11. September 24, 2012 at 3:40 am

Beautiful images David! It’s a pleasure reading about your adventures. Thanks for sharing!

12. September 24, 2012 at 3:48 am

Beautiful photographs, David. I particularly like the first, and the one with the Northern Lights. Great work.

13. Dave Benson

September 24, 2012 at 5:54 am

Epic!

14. September 24, 2012 at 6:20 am

I have always been fascinated by the sort of photos that persons make in this sort of terrain. I don’t mean to turn this in to a techy post. However, I have been curious as to how well your battery power holds up when you have to work in such a frigid climate.

15. Kat

September 24, 2012 at 7:01 am

Re-entry is always hard! I hope you can keep a spirit of peace and solitude as you reconnect with normal life. And I had to laugh… There is an interpretive sign announcing that you are at the Arctic Circle? Seriously?? Just a little reminder that there is no place untouched by man on this earth.

16. Corrado

September 24, 2012 at 10:41 am

David,thank you very much for the great images of beautiful world that you explored.Great ” Vision”.

17. September 24, 2012 at 11:15 am

What a fantastic trip. I bet the photos are going to be fabulous!

18. September 24, 2012 at 12:15 pm

What a trip it must of been, I wish that one day I can make the same trip. I understand the terms re-entry, its always hard to come back after such a nice trip. Can’t wait to more of your pictures.

19. September 26, 2012 at 10:00 am

Wonderful images, but Emily under the stars is priceless.

And, Yep, ya’ look like you could use a bath! ;-)