Sep 4th

New eBook – Portraits of Earth

This summer I began working on a book about landscape photography. I wanted something big, beautiful, and full of the little things I’ve learned over the past few years as I’ve chased the light across the land on seven continents. That book was published today, in PDF format, and available for download now. Portraits of Earth, An Introduction to Landscape Photography is on the larger size of books we’ve done at Craft & Vision, numbering 65 spreads long – the equivalent of 130 pages the way we once numbered them. In between photographs, displayed large and with relevant EXIF data, are sections on Gear, Composition, Light, Land, Water, Snow, and Detail Shots. There’s also Behind the Shot sections that talk about things like exposure blending, and there are random pages full of random tips about things like maximizing sharpness, using grad and polarizer filters, and shooting in weather like fog.

I laid this one out myself, something I haven’t done in a while, and I’m excited about it. I get excited about them all, I know. I’m unrestrained that way. :-) The thing is, Craft & Vision is still just a couple of folks passionately trying to teach what we love to other passionate folks; we get excited when we create something beautiful and put it out into the world knowing it’s going to help others make compelling, beautiful photographs of their own. Speaking of beautiful things, there’s a discount, as there often is, and you can read more about that at the bottom of this post, but there’s more.  I’m also going to print and sign 3 copies of the cover photograph and send them – anywhere in the world – to 3 people, randomly chosen, who buy Portraits of Earth. It’s not much, but it’s a thank you to a few lucky folks who – month after month – give me the chance to do what I love.

For the next five days use the promotional code EARTH4 when you checkout so you can have the PDF version of Portraits of Earth for only $4 OR use the code EARTH20 to get 20% off when you buy 5+ PDF eBooks from the Craft & Vision collection. These codes expire at 11:59pm (PST) September 9, 2012.

1. joe L.

September 5, 2012 at 12:54 am

so, how about those subscribers who can d/l it but not *pay* this time? any awesome prints for us? =]

by the way, stunning, and really like the parts about snow & fog. gonna head out this weekend despite the heat (~30c)that’s still lingering around these parts…

2. September 5, 2012 at 6:51 am

…this day starts good :) , thanks David.

3. Sandy Silva

September 5, 2012 at 6:51 am

Excited as always to receive something
    new from you….can’t wait to sit down tonight and immerse myself in this new ebook….thanks for sharing with us, we are truly blessed…:)
    Sandy

4. September 5, 2012 at 11:39 am

Just downloaded the book. Very much looking forward to reading it on my iPad, which I used to read all my ebooks. Makes it easy.

Would you share what app you used to create your eBooks with? Curious as to what apps work best for people creating them.

Thanks in advance for the info.

5. ADRIANO CALVO HERNANDEZ

September 5, 2012 at 12:45 pm

When in Spanish?

6. September 5, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Downloaded it. Skimmed through it. Love the layouts. Love the photos. Will read thoroughly. FTW!!!!

7. September 6, 2012 at 6:20 am

Another wonderfully insightful gem!

8. September 6, 2012 at 10:34 am

From pg 9:

“Get over it; creativity happens within
    constraints, and you’ll miss as many shots by having
    too much gear as having not enough, or by changing
    lenses while the light does something amazing.”

It would be interesting if you did a post sometime with your own experiences on “Fleeting Light”. It’s happened to me – by the time you get things ready, the light you wanted is gone. I am most interested in you view on the changing characteristics of light and how to better anticiptate them.

9. September 6, 2012 at 10:59 am

You know, I have been reading your books and appreciating your visual works since “Within The Frame” came out and I never stopped to consider your slow transformation to landscape photography.

I must say you have made the transition in a very natural way and have succeeded at creating landscapes that are works of art, that display true “simple elegance.”

What I truly appreciate is how you have captured this world with a fresh insight. I sometimes think that if I see another SW red rock landscape I’ll scream. There is so much more to this wonderful globe than the old tired “iconic landscapes” that so many seem to think must be done over and over again.

Keep up the great work. I just started reading “Portraits of Earth” last night, which made me stop and think about your transformation.

I was also intrigued about the concept of focusing “one third” into the landscape for sharper focus. I had not heard this before, I usually focus on my main subject, controlling depth of field with the aperture setting. I will certainly give it a try.

10. Stephanie

September 6, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Just ordered one of the hardcopy books from Amazon…which led me to your site, and on to purchase this ebook (the first of many, I’m sure).

Your photography is beatuiful, amazing, and captures the true essence of life!

Stephanie
    Cincinnati, Ohio

11. Adair D

September 6, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Hey, I just realized that the new website has beautiful portfolio to savor and to share. Wow! thanks! I love your words, i love your images too.

12. September 7, 2012 at 3:50 am

[...] just picked up David Duchemins’s new E-Book, Portraits of Earth. Wow, what a wonderful and true analysis. Find what you love. Frame it as you would a beautiful [...]

13. September 7, 2012 at 8:38 am

Another gem and inspiration to maintian the journey