Mar 17th

2013

Timelapse by Dave Delnea

Photographer Dave Delnea and I have had a couple great adventures together. The first was a couple weeks in Iceland, the second roughly the same couple weeks driving down the West Coast. Both experiences were among the wettest and coldest of my life. So now I mostly just stick to having the odd beer in a warm pub with the man. One of the things I learned from Dave, though I’ve still got to spend some time re-learning this stuff now that I am using Nikon gear, is how to shoot and build time-lapses. When we got home from Iceland he put this video together and it lit a fire under me to learn this stuff. Check out this short video -

Beautiful, right? And it’s incredibly easy to do. Not so easy it doesn’t take some learning and practice, and Dave makes it look easy, but there’s a beauty and emotion to these sequences that a still image alone doesn’t create. Used together, stills and timelapses can compliment each other. Commercially, Delnea’s used his timelapses as both a great marketing tool for his work, and a killer benefit for clients. Imagine adding a couple short, beautifully shot timelapses, to what you provide a wedding client, or to supplement the way you display your landscape work online.

In Timelapse, Dave Delnea walks you through the whole set-up right to the end of the process, and lets you in on all the little tips and pitfalls that will otherwise have you tearing your hair out, shortening an otherwise frustrating learning curve. Most of us already have everything we need to shoot and assemble the sequences, Delnea shows you how. I shot and assembled my first timelapse sequence in about two hours after Delnea showed me how to do it. I was in Ladakh, India at the time and I remember giggling at how easy it was when you do it right. If you’ve ever wanted to explore adding another dimension to your work but, like me, haven’t got the remotest desire to dig into digital video, this is an excellent way to do it, and the results can be absolutely moving.

Buy the eBook

[ hana-code-insert ] 'BUY – Timelapse' is not found

Special Offer
For the first five days only, use the promotional code TIME4 when you checkout and pay only $4 OR on CraftandVision.com use the code TIME20 to get 20% off when you buy 5+ PDF eBooks. These codes expire at 11:59pm (PST) March 22, 2013.

Buy the Author Bundle
Get both of Dave Delnea’s titles (Below the Horizon, Timelapse) for $8 USD. That’s 20% off – no code required.

1. Richard

March 18, 2013 at 3:55 am

Hello Guys,

another outstanding e-book! very impressive and full of information. The only little thing i miss is a link to the timelapse preset… maybe i am too blind to see it???

best regards
    Richard

• Corwin Hiebert

March 18, 2013 at 9:01 am

Hey Richard – You’re not blind. In fact you’ve discovered a glitch in the matrix : ) Sorry about that. I’ll get that LR preset out to you (and everyone else) later today via email. Stay tuned. Thanks for catching that. Cheers!

• Richard

March 18, 2013 at 10:32 am

Cool, Thank you!

I told Gunther Wegner, the developer of LR-Timelapse about your site and the new e-book. He was excited and i think he will also make a post on his LR-Timelapse site about your e-books…

best regards
        Richard

2. Corwin Hiebert

March 18, 2013 at 10:01 am

Quick update: Dave Delnea’s Timelapse Lightroom Preset download is now included in the eBook.

3. March 18, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Bought it and instantly read it – love it! Apparently I’ve been living under a rock and didn’t know what time-lapse photography was until today. I’m so excited to try it! I’ve already lined up a remote to borrow. :)

4. March 19, 2013 at 8:31 am

Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your content seem to
    be running off the screen in Safari. I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I thought I’d post
    to let you know. The design look great though!
    Hope you get the problem fixed soon. Thanks

5. March 20, 2013 at 5:15 pm

It’s good value for $4.

I wish, though, that software other than LRTimelapse had been discussed. I don’t use Lightroom, so having to buy it as well as LRTimelapse really adds to the expense — I would have preferred to see a few alternative programs discussed as well.

6. March 21, 2013 at 4:24 am

I erally like the video. It looks so easy indeed and definitely worth a try!

7. March 30, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Great book! Thanks so much. I’ve made a few timelapse videos in the past, but I didn’t really know what I was doing. I like learning by trial and error, but it’s nice to have a short, easy guidebook to help.

I do have one question for Dave: How do you minimize camera shake when changing settings manually…like ISO or exposure? (When you don’t want to rely on auto, but you need to change things…) Maybe I just need a much better tripod that doesn’t move!

Thanks!

• David

March 31, 2013 at 11:28 am

Heather, I can’t speak for Dave, but yes, you nailed it. You really can’t avoid camera shake while changing settings unless you have a really light touch or a great tripod. The good news is that it’s not video, so if there’s one frame that bounces a little, you can pull it out during the edit.