Jun 26th

2013

New eBook – Sharp Shooter

When I went to Japan this year to meet Martin Bailey for the first time I was impressed by two things beyond the fact that he’s just a ton of fun to be around. First, the man’s an excellent teacher. Second, he knows his craft. He knows stuff I’ve never heard of. And it shows. I know I lean to the artsy side of things, so I need people like Martin around to keep me on my toes and keep my craft honed. Sharpness is one of those aspects of the craft Martin taught me new things about. I’ve said before that if the best thing someone can say about my work is that it’s tack sharp, then I’ve probably failed. But at the same time, if it’s dismissed because a flaw in my technique or understanding, my art doesn’t have a chance to be heard.

Martin wrote Sharp Shooter, Proven Techniques for Sharper Photographs because I asked him to. I learned so much from him in Hokkaido about this stuff that I knew we needed to publish it, and he’s created another excellent book. Martin, in his usual clear and concise fashion, covers the gamut on this from hand-holding techniques, stabilization, what makes an image sharp in the first place, to macro-sharpness, focus stacking, techniques to make your images sharper for final output, and more. I swear to Ansel Adams, you’ll be hard pressed to find a guy who makes sharper photographs, and he can teach you to do it too.

Sharp Shooter is a 36-spread downloadable PDF eBook, and it’s available today from Craft & Vision. Read to the bottom of the page for the usual discounts and purchase codes. Here’s a glimpse inside the eBook:

Use the promotional code SHARP4 when you check out and pay only USD $4 OR use the code SHARP20 to get 20% off when you buy 5+ Craft & Vision products. These codes expire at 11:59 PM (PST) July 4, 2013.

1. June 27, 2013 at 8:07 am

Just downloaded it… waiting for evening to get into it!!!:)

2. June 27, 2013 at 8:08 am

i just thumbed through it and it seems to be grat piece of knowledge to learn :)

PS. please join my two posts:) sorry for that.

3. June 27, 2013 at 10:13 am

So…… I generally shy away from conversations about “tack sharp” since they are usually indulged in by gear heads….

However, I agree one can never know too much about one’s craft and I too, have a great deal of respect for Martin’s work,
    so I’m in.

4. LAJ

June 27, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Tons of great info here, well worth the $4! One thing I was hoping to see included, though, is a discussion of what effect various focal lengths of a zoom lens have on image sharpness and why. For example, I often notice that closeups of a particular subject seem much sharper at, say, 250mm than 270mm… Is that standard across all zooms, or a flaw in certain ones, or what? Should one just always shoot with the zoom not fully extended?

• June 27, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Laj, IMHO, there are many variables that will affect sharpness of taken image. One of them is let’s say “manufacturer lapse” that you can see in many cheap (but not only) long zooms – many of them are sharp only on certain range of focal distance (FD). Other thing is just physics law limitations. And finaly another thing to remember is to adjust aperture to the FD and the distance to the subject – what i’m sure you already know but as far as i know we often forget about that.

But i would take a deeper look into the first thing i wrote, what is strictly connected to given lens resolution and MTF. Because lenses are affected by ‘mass production’ it’s hard to find two exactly the same pieces. So if we take even two or more same lenses these results may vary .

Please, correct me if i’m wrong.

5. June 27, 2013 at 3:06 pm

typo on page 4:

“these numbers are actually the square route of 2″

I think you mean “square root”, not “square route”. Nit-picky, I know, but an easy fix.