Jun 24th

2013

SEVEN is shipping!

First, here’s a desktop wallpaper for July. This is quickly becoming one of my favourite photographs, and I don’t really do favourites. Click the image to make it big, then do the “Set as Desktop Wallpaper” thing by your favourite method. Now, the morning news, with apologies for being off the air so long…

The elves have been busy, which in part accounts for things being so quiet around here. About 600 copies of SEVEN were delivered to my loft, where I signed them, numbered them, and pulled out the injured ones. Those were then shipped back to the printers to be shrink-wrapped. Then they came back to us, and while that was happening, the crew here was hand-folding cardboard protective corners, and then hand-folding custom mailing boxes, sealing them tight, adding fragile stickers, and then waving a hand of blessing over them for safe measure. Then each box was labelled with a label with individual tracking number, and sent out. And they’re still going.

Your copy should be on it’s way. Some of you have already got them, others of you will have to wait just a while longer, but it’ll be worth the wait, I promise.

What a process. I honestly had no idea it would take so much work. It’s one thing to make a book like this, and no small effort, but what it takes to sign them all, and to get them into your hands quickly and safely, is nothing short of herculean. We’re not a big crew here so this has somewhat consumed us. I’m already thinking about the next one, but judging from the look of fear on my team’s faces when I bring up the subject, that’ll be a couple years down the road.

Anyways, the books are coming, and as yours get shipped, you’ll get an email letting you know it’s on it’s way and giving you a tracking number. I’ve said it before, but I need to say it again – thank you so much for being a part of this. We’ve still got copies for sale, so if you’re thinking about gifts for others, or know someone with an empty coffee table, we’d be grateful if you’d share the love and point people to the product page on the website.

This summer I’ll be making some appearances. If you’re looking to get some education in, here’s where I’ll be…

I’ll be at the Canadian Association of Photographic Art’s conference in Fredericton this weekend, finally meeting Freeman Patterson whom I’ve long admired, and speaking about the creative process and the visual language. So excited. If you’re going to be there, please come say hello. I’m sure they’ve still got a few tickets, so if you happen to be on the east coast, I’d love to see you there and it’s going to be a great conference.

On July 11 and 12 we’re hosting a small group here in Vancouver for The Created Image Conference, and we’ve still got some limited spaces. We’re keeping it small and intimate and I’m looking forward to this one like crazy, but because we’re putting this thing on ourselves it’s a little more work than usual.

I’ve also been invited to Bali this August to speak at the What If Down Under Conference, and well, it’s Bali, so I’m going to be there. The What If Conference is new but gaining momentum, and there’s some amazing people attending. If you happen to live on that side of the world, or feel the burning need to both get some beach time and spend time with other creative entrepreneurs, it’d be cool to meet you.

1. June 24, 2013 at 10:08 am

Congrats on the book shipping out. Thanks for the sweet wallpaper. Good stuff.

2. June 24, 2013 at 10:24 am

Hopefully I’ll get a chance to look at your book before I drive to Fredericton on Thursday

3. June 24, 2013 at 10:26 am

Very cool…. I’m looking forward to getting mine.

Thanks to you and the whole crew for all your hard work.

4. craig

June 24, 2013 at 10:46 am

Hey David,

Really enjoyable to watch your continued progress. Your work ethic and talent are an example to be followed!

You are really bending the barriers that place photographers into arbitrary cubby holes.

Congrats!

Craig

5. June 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm

David, my copy arrived just an hour ago and I’ve been pouring through it. A beautiful piece of work. Well done…and thank you!

6. June 24, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Looking forward to meeting you in Fredericton this week.

Are you bringing any SEVEN books with you?

7. June 24, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Seven arrived. Appears to be in good shape. Will unwrap tonight.

8. Tony Ho

June 24, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you, David!

Mine should be coming in the mail tomorrow if Canada Post worker doesn’t get lost.

Man, I cannot wait!

9. Augustine Mathews

June 25, 2013 at 4:02 am

Maybe while you are “down under” you can stretch it a bit further and come on down To Australia. I know I for one would love to meet you :)

• David

June 25, 2013 at 8:25 am

Thanks, Augustine. I’d love that. Won’t happen this time because it’s a last minute addition to my schedule but we’re playing with coming to NZ for a few weeks and I’d like to look at adding a couple lecture dates and meet-n-greets for Australia if/when that happens. :-)

10. Bob Petruzzelli

June 25, 2013 at 7:58 am

Hi David,

Received mine (65/100) yesterday. I’m ecstatic. The book is everything I’d hoped it would be. Your opening forward was very moving and inspirational.

Looking forward a couple of years to your next work…

11. June 25, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Sounds like Christmas in June :) Looking forward to receiving my copy!

12. June 26, 2013 at 12:38 am

I got mine a couple days ago, and I straight up have to say: If anyone is holding out on buying this book because they weren’t able to get a Special Limited, or for whatever other reason, do not hesitate to get a copy of the remaining edition. The book is easily one of the classiest, highest quality presentations of photography I have ever seen. The attention to detail, the materials, the print quality, heck, even the smell, are just so right. This is one very special release, and anyone who loves the printed image will treasure Seven for a long time.

David, pass on a word of thanks to your crew for all the hard work they put into this – they were part of something special!

13. Alan

June 26, 2013 at 2:04 am

Woohoo! Arrived in Australia. Absolutely beautiful David, it’s obvious that a huge amount of effort and attention to detail has gone into it from start to finish.

First copy on LibraryThing!

14. Marc Therrien

June 27, 2013 at 12:37 pm

The wait is driving me crazy! I hope the elves will make a delivery with my name on it soon.

I have no doubt it is worth it, but still can’t wait to get my hands on it.

Thanks for sharing your passion and creativity. You’re an inspiration

15. June 27, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Really looking forward to holding your book in my hands. So happy for you that you’ve managed to see the fruits of your labour and share it with others.
    See you at the CAPA conference.

16. July 6, 2013 at 9:11 am

Just got your book SEVEN last night, gorgeous…. great book and a wonderful inspiration to get out and shoot some photos. Thanks very much for the terrific product.

17. Francis Mariani

July 8, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I received my pizza box today! I had to clean up a minor flooded basement here in Toronto before drying up and opening the box. The book is absolutely gorgeous. The photographs are stunning and the design is beautiful. I’ll be absorbing this for quite some time.

Thanks David for a wonderful gift.

Francis.

• David

July 19, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Glad you survived the flood, Francis. I hope that book’s going on to a high shelf! :-) Thanks for the encouragement.

18. Richard Baumgartner

July 10, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Whoho, get mail from the customs-office here in Bayreuth-Germany that there is an package from Vancouver… Will take it tomorrow and hopefully enjoy it as much as expected :-)

Richard

19. Hans Schaefer

July 19, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Hi David,
    Got your fantastic book today practically wresting it out of customs hands!
    It is worth every penny and even the outrageous postage fee!
    Beautiful pictures..great printing!
    And a treasure to send off to future generations!
    Glad I made the decision to buy it!
    Waiting for your next project ! Lol