May 4th

2013

Postcards from Italy

Ciao! I rolled in from Italy a couple hours ago, set my photographs to begin the export process from my laptop to my iMac, unpacked, stocked the fridge and walked out for some much needed sushi. So good to be back home in Vancouver. No matter how often I go away, coming home is sweeter each time.

Now I’m crashing but after so long gone I felt like I needed to jump online and say hello and throw a couple postcards into the mail for you. Lots going on here, but for now I’ll leave you with these. All taken with the more-than-capable Fuji XE-1, and I’ll give you more of my impressions on this new camera when the dust settles a little. Thanks for holding down the fort while I was gone, and for your patience for those who left comments on articles I just haven’t had the time to reply to.

1. May 4, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Beautiful images David! Absolutely love the silhouette family walking towards the buildings. Nice to see some street influences here :)

2. Niki

May 4, 2013 at 8:28 pm

You were in Venice! One of my favourite cities :). Your photographs are always so beautiful :). Miss seeing ya! We like to stalk you on a regular basis to make sure you’re doing we’ll. :) Big hugs!
    Niki

3. Daniel Diggelmann

May 5, 2013 at 1:19 am

These series is beautiful David. I’m sure you had a lot of fun with the X-E1. I sure love mine for such type of photography.

Regards, Daniel

4. May 5, 2013 at 2:28 am

Beautiful photos. Love the color, light and square frame. I’m really enjoying my Fuji X-E1, glad you used it. Waiting to hear more on your impression of it.

Alan

5. May 5, 2013 at 4:35 am

Well enjoy and relax. Venice is always interesting to visit, photograph and expirience the cultural tradition, ect. I live close to Venice. Like the Fisher Island of Burano. Very colorful. It’s a must for visiting when you are in Venice for every photographer amateur or professional.

You made great images whit the real Venice wibe. And Fujifilm is making a real progress with his mirorless cameras.

All my best from Slovenia, Rok Dolnicar

6. May 5, 2013 at 8:28 am

Love these. Especially like the guy reading.

7. May 5, 2013 at 9:09 am

Great set of photos from Italy!

8. May 5, 2013 at 9:45 am

Your landscape photography is breathtaking, but your people photography stirs my soul. This series is no exception. Thanks for sharing.

9. AD

May 5, 2013 at 10:34 am

Wow, i so love the landscape work you have been doing, that i forgot your city/street work is lovely too.

10. May 5, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Lovely work, as always. And I recognize the cobblestones and lamp fixtures of the first photos from your book (The Print and the Process). Loved those images, too. And still raining, I see!

11. May 5, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Lovely series, David. Each image is so interesting, containing many things to observe and consider. It seems that wonderful stories could be spun from each photo.

12. MJ

May 5, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Welcome home and thank you for bringing home those awesome, and inspiring photographs from your trip.

13. Kym

May 6, 2013 at 1:23 am

I think these photos are beautiful, but my favourite is the girl sitting with her dog and umbrella. I can easily dream that’s me.

14. May 6, 2013 at 5:38 am

I love this series of images from Italy. I think I see a shift in your work again, this set is so much different than previous postcards from same place. More people, and such in depth observation and “decisive moment” rather than patiently creating perfect landscape with light and lines. If this is, indeed, a new work you set to explore, I am excited to see where it leads you.

15. Hans Schaefer

May 6, 2013 at 7:34 am

Hi David,
    Nice to see your pics as you must have been to Venice the same day as we were , seeing the rain

16. May 6, 2013 at 10:45 am

Lovely images David. One of the wonderful things, for me, about your images is they capture life, just as you find it, wherever you travel. You don’t allow yourself, or anyone else to push you towards the trap of just doing just landscapes, portrait, etc.

The post is wonderful and subtle, but your gift, to my mind, is your eye and your sensitivity to your subject matter.

The square format works great with these images.

Welcome home!

17. Jeff fielding

May 6, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Hope there was a little inspiration from me in the awesome photograph of the pug?!?

18. jennie

May 8, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Looking forward to your review of the Fujifilm XE1. I’m on the verge of getting one myself. I don’t like to carry a lot of gear and want one exceptional camera for especially taking people shots, but also lanscape if I can.