Aug 25th

2011

Photographically Speaking: A Preview

Photographically Speaking is nearing the final stages of being an actual honest-to-goodness book. It’s been on Amazon and other online retailers for pre-orders for a while now. But now it’s almost done layouts and then it’s off to the printers. I made a video to talk about the book itself and why I wrote it. That video is linked above. Hit the graphic above and it should open in a new browser. The video will probably see another edit before it goes to the rest of the world but as with everything I do, I try to give you as close to a sneak peak as I can.  I’m really excited about this book. I hope you’ll join me in anticipating its release in October. You can find more information on the product page at Amazon.com. If everything had gone to plan this spring the book would be in your hands in a couple weeks, now it looks like mid-October but I believe it’ll be well worth the wait. Thanks for your patience.

You can also watch the video on Vimeo HERE if you prefer. I’m working on posting to YouTube but so far it just mangles the video.

1. August 25, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Can’t wait to get my copy! Thanks David!!

2. Steven D

August 25, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Nice preview David. Looking forward to this Rogue of The Trilogy!

3. Shari

August 25, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Can hardly wait – I learn so much from you David. Good thoughts to you from Vancouver!

4. August 25, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Pre-ordered a couple of months ago!!

5. August 25, 2011 at 3:56 pm

David, I just love the way you talk about photografy. You know how to make things easy and simple to understand. I’m your fan from Brazil!! Can’t wait for this new book! Thanks for all!!!!

6. Bruce Sexton

August 25, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Just placed my pre-order and can’t wait to read the book!

7. TimR

August 25, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Using a video to help explain and promote the book is a great idea!

8. Robert

August 25, 2011 at 4:26 pm

About time, Mister; pre-ordered since March!

:-P

Heal quickly!

9. August 25, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Um, wow. I’m quite excited for this book. I deeply enjoy the process of listening to others (and participating myself, when I’m capable) analyze and critique a photograph, and I constantly wonder what makes a good photograph a good photograph, objectively, so that I can target those elements and make stronger work myself. Can’t wait.

10. Cerebus

August 25, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I’d still rather have it in ebook form. Call me heretical. :)

August 25, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Cerebus – Hey man, the heart wants what the heart wants. I’m sure it’ll be available as a PDF as the others have been, but that’s a publishing decision I have no part in making.

12. Robert

August 25, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I will enjoy it in print much more than an electronic version, so I am glad it is being manifested in a physical form. Books have souls, and this one in particular will be stronger as such.

I just watched the video. Liked it. But It was so tiny…

13. August 25, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Just ordered it, anticipating sharing your perspective with my upcoming workshop this next year. Be well as your journey continues. I could certainly use the guidance I expect this will give me to talk about the photographs we make.

14. Matt Gibson

August 25, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Love the video preview for the book – gave me a great sense of what the book is about. I need to learn the things you’re teaching in this book – so thank you for all the work you put into writing it.

15. August 25, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Really looking forward to this David. Thanks for working so hard on it despite all the “setbacks.” Glad to hear you are on the mend.
    ~Brian

16. August 25, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Ohh! I’ve got some reading to do before the Venice workshop. Comon’ Peachpit, publish it already!!! My pre-order has been in since it hit Amazon.
    …Mike

17. August 25, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I really hope that this will also be available as an ebook as I prefer to read my books on my ipad these days.

18. marjan

August 25, 2011 at 9:13 pm

can’t wait to start “devouring” my copy – thank you David and thinking of you while you are working so hard to learn to walk again – your courage and sharing are an inspiration

19. August 25, 2011 at 10:53 pm

powerful video, david. well done. looking forward to another inspirational shove. all the best, sarah

20. Vera Reis

August 26, 2011 at 12:04 am

Great video! Can’t wait to get my copy.

21. August 26, 2011 at 12:42 am

I sooo want and NEED this book! Thank you David for you approach to photography, and thank you for not just keeping to yourself but teaching and writing about it.

22. August 26, 2011 at 1:51 am

Great video, inspiring, clear and well spoken !
    will bring photographers to THE NEXT level.
    Good luck with the book!
    Kristel Schneider Photography
    (www.visionsandnature.com)

23. August 26, 2011 at 3:01 am

This is why I love you – you never fail to impress. A fantastic preview trailer that is pretty powerful all on its own. Now get that up on youtube so it can be more easily liked, favorited and shared.

24. August 26, 2011 at 3:58 am

Pre-ordered it and so much looking forward to it. “Vision Mongers” more or less changed my life. Keep up the brilliant work. A fan from Germany.

25. August 26, 2011 at 4:00 am

Cool preview video, a very good idea. I have recently been reading The Photographer’s Eye (Michael Freeman) which covers a number of similar topics but I am finding Michael’s style a little on the dry side. I look forward to seeing your approach on the subject as I normally enjoy your writing style.

26. August 26, 2011 at 5:15 am

Fabulous preview – I will be ordering this one as soon as it’s available. ATB, Ian

27. Erika

August 26, 2011 at 5:28 am

Love the preview. Looking forward to the release.

28. Laurie Iten

August 26, 2011 at 7:08 am

So want to get my copy that I pre-ordered it when it appeared in Amazon.com. October, hurry up and get here! ;-)

29. August 26, 2011 at 8:24 am

I’m soooo looking forward to it :) I just love your teaching, David. Invaluable!!!!

30. Adair Dammann

August 26, 2011 at 8:47 am

beautiful video, David. And I love to have a book, feel the pages, read and reread, lend to friends, have a bookgroup…

31. Frederic Colas

August 26, 2011 at 8:56 am

VERY NICE TOUCH! I can’t wait to hold the book in my hands!

32. August 26, 2011 at 9:12 am

Pre-ordered it a few days ago and after watching your video, I know this was a good decision.

33. August 26, 2011 at 10:00 am

Nice video preview and…. I learned how to correctly pronounce your name!

34. Christopher Nahler

August 26, 2011 at 11:42 am

enjoyed the video. you sound strong again. to me what you say applies to so much more than just taking pictures.

35. August 26, 2011 at 1:52 pm

“Thanks for your patience.”
    *head shake*
    No, David. Thanks for YOUR perseverance.

36. August 26, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I can’t wait! And yes, thanks for YOUR perseverance. YOU DA MAN!

37. Jeremy Verinsky

August 26, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Looking forward to it, David. It was great having the discussion with you about the book and what you were trying to communicate with it in SF.

38. Andy Wilson

August 26, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Really looking forward to the book. I think you may be right about another re-edit of the video though. There’s one point where you are talking about the photograph being read by people who won’t have us at their side to explain what is being said. There’s a certain sense of breathless excitement in your voice which we, knowing your passion, appreciate but which might come over as a little bit OTT to someone for whom you are an unfamiliar figure. But perhaps that is just my British reserve :)

39. August 26, 2011 at 8:39 pm

i can’t wait the next book!!!

40. Scott Nickell

August 27, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I’m so looking forward to reading and learning from this book.

41. bk

August 27, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I’m eagerly awaiting this long-ago pre-ordered book. I will certainly promote this in my local photo club so we can get to more constructive feedback. You give commissions, right? Nice video!

42. August 28, 2011 at 9:15 am

It’s great to see you working through your struggles and producing what I expect will be some of your best content yet. I’m excited beyond words for this book and I look forward to congratulating you upon its (super successful) release!

Cheers,
    -Matt Beaty

43. August 28, 2011 at 1:49 pm

If reading can make us a better photographer, than this book will help. Wish you success with it.

44. August 29, 2011 at 12:13 pm

j’espère qu’il sortira en français en même temps !
    en attendant je vais faire des économies pour aller à Venise !

45. August 29, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Pre-ordered and eagerly awaiting it!

46. Melissa Reed

August 29, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I think I pre-ordered this when we met in Peoria! Feels like a lifetime ago! :) Hope rehab is going well for you. I can’t believe you are globe trotting soon. Make sure Jeffrey takes good care of you! :)

47. August 30, 2011 at 10:18 pm

David, I’m waiting for it to appear on Flipcart.com

48. September 8, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Looking forward to your new book; I am sure I will enjoy it as much as your other books. Thank you for your willingness to teach us.

49. mike

September 22, 2011 at 3:52 am

Hi David I admire your guts and courage. Most of all your passion (Vison) and stamina.
    Just reading your “Within the Frame” book and how you spend hours chatting people up before taking their pictures.
    I’m a wedding photographer and I’d like to carry your ideas over. So how do I take a picture OF THE bride rather then a picture OF A bride? Do I need to chat her up and ask silly questions? shuch as why did you choose this dress? Flowers? Hairstyle? Groom?
    Or is it a time to tell her that she looks like a million $$?
    Love your advice “slow down” I’m sure that right now that’s the last thing you want to do.
    Wish you better, I’ve just orderd your new book.

September 22, 2011 at 5:39 am

Mike, I would assume that you’ve got some kind of relationship with your client before the day of the wedding – surely you meet with your client before the wedding, go for coffee or something, and begin that process, no? I think you need to spend at least enough time with the client that you get some sense of the bride’s spirit – her sense of humour, her character. The photographer’s job is to observe – even without speaking to the bride it’s our job to notice enough to be able to make meaningful portraits.

51. mike

September 22, 2011 at 7:38 am

Thanks for your kind reply
    Your book (WTFrame) has opened up a whole NEW way of relating to my photo subjects. Thank u.
    It’s better then getting a new camera.
    However getting to know a person who is all dressed up and is acting a formal role (the Bride) in front of the public and the photographer isn’t easy.
    It’s all very formal and… there isn’t enough time.
    And to notice what she likes/hates just by observing without speaking?

Wow. What’s the secret?

Take it easy n look after yourself.

52. October 10, 2011 at 3:24 pm

[…] Inspired Eye, Volume 3.Postcard from LaosIntroducing The Craft & Vision CommunityMoving ForwardPhotographically Speaking: A Preview David duChemin on Emily & I – A New AdventureDuncan Bell on Emily & I – A New […]