Jan 11th

2010

Musings of a Manager

This is Corwin. Corwin meet everyone, everyone, Corwin. Corwin’s my manager, friend, and Fire Put-er Outer. In my absence he thought he’d grab the microphone and fill the dead air. Corwin is a sharp mind who gets professional creatives like no one else I know. He’s the author of Growing The VisionMonger, the most recent eBook on offer from Craft & Vision. Highly recommended. Anyways, that’s the intro. Corwin will post while I’m gone. Look for a post from me on the 15th.

Ever had the awkward feeling that you’re standing on stage, wearing nothing but black socks? Well over these past few days I’ve lived on a stage of sorts. Last week saw the launch of the first collaborative eBook on Craft & Vision and, sure enough, it was mine. Not only am I the first non-duChemin to put it out there, but I’m also the first non-photographer to do so (that’s where the naked part comes in—the socks are just a bonus). I wrote Growing the VisionMonger in hopes of providing a helping hand to weekend warriors and pros alike, but there was a lesson in that eBook for me too: move quickly on a good idea, regardless of the risk.

That’s what I’ve learned from being around David; when a good idea comes along, he jumps all over it. As his manager, I’m privy to David’s schedule (his tasks, his clients, his whims and stressors) and I see all that he has on his plate. What always stands out to me is how he’s always looking for a big idea and how prepared he is to make it a reality. When he gets inspired, he moves fast. Take, for example, this whole Craft & Vision thing. When hiking with him this past August, David says to me, “Hey, I’m thinking of writing an eBook, what do you think?” We chatted about it for a few minutes, as we scrambled through a gully, and that was that. Well, within a few days, wham-o! eBook out the door (and 4 more followed shortly thereafter).

So what’s his secret? Well, seeing how he’s out of the country and less able to defend himself, let me tell you. David makes small, attainable goals and then works very hard to complete them. Those initial steps happen within a day, if not within an hour. And, when inspired, he tells people about it. He doesn’t sit on a good idea; he shares it. This gives him enough feedback to make the tweaks and changes he needs to feel confident about moving forward. He also gains the support of those his trusts and enjoys working with.

So what about your ideas? Which ones have been percolating for far too long? Which ones do you want to make a move on and see become a reality? Why not take a risk, jump up on stage, and put some action to your inspiration? I would, however, recommend keeping your clothes on.

Growing The VisionMonger is available, with all the Craft & Vision titles, for only $5 from CraftAndVision.com

1. January 11, 2010 at 3:57 am

great post Corwin, that’s just what I needed to hear.

2. January 11, 2010 at 5:24 am

Corwin – thanks for the post; it is very good advice. The more we wait the more time we have to talk ourselves out of action.

3. Gale Blair

January 11, 2010 at 6:21 am

Great post, Corwin. And a perfect time to present it as we’re embarking on a new year. Thank you!

4. January 11, 2010 at 6:44 am

Thanks Corwin for jumping into the fire and keeping this post going. Also wanted to compliment you on your ebook. Downloaded it this week and I feel it is really useful for photographers.

I agree with your idea that photographers should act upon there creative ideas, however acting and bringing it a productive level can be tough. I have been photographing for 25 years, as a hobby and the past ten years as a part time business, not yet able to make the jump to full time. Getting my work out into the world is tough. Can you suggest specific ways to get your work into the world? I have successfully marketed myself for sales in the past. However, completing projects and bringing them into the public eye is difficult. Editing images is crucial and takes time. I feel there is too many ordinary images in public circulation and it is important to put your best foot forward. Achieving small tasks is crucial to success, but where are the best venues for public viewing?

Randy

Randy

5. January 11, 2010 at 7:20 am

Welcome Corwin!, I finished reading last night your e-book, I enjoyed it very much. One thing I like your book and David’s that have in common are the action points, very useful tool to apply what you just read.

Thanks for the post and e-book!

6. Terry McMillan

January 11, 2010 at 8:02 am

Hey Corwin! Excellent post today. Exactly the type of advice I needed to hear this week. Downloaded your ebook last week and came away with some definite “to-do’s”.

7. January 11, 2010 at 9:47 am

Wonderful! You should start your own “manager blog” with tips and in sites such as these! I’d follow you like a puppy!

8. January 11, 2010 at 10:52 am

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Adam – a “manager blog” hmmmmm…. interesting.

Randy – good question. I’ll craft a response after I drink my first coffee of the day. Stay tuned.

9. January 11, 2010 at 11:59 am

That’s what I get for opening my mouth before clicking…. I see you are already blogging. Perhaps sage droplets from a non photo industry insider.

10. January 11, 2010 at 11:59 am

Randy – when it comes to getting ones work into the public eye I’m a big fan of collaboration verses marketing/advertising.

Without knowing much about your business or your relationships here’s a scenario for your to consider: meet the needs of a charity or a not-for-profit – ideally one that has national reach. Don’t simply provide image resources though, provide them with a finished product that they can use. Whether it’s a special event poster or a collection of hangings (maybe using Artistic Photo Canvas) for a big silent auction that has web promotion – produce something that meets a need, something that helps them raise awareness or funds. It’s time and money well spent and they’ll be instant fans (and hopefully their donor base will as well). Collaborate with a graphic designer or a writer to help tell the story behind the images or about your passion for the subject matter/cause. Get an emerging publicist to spread the word.

The biggest issue with traditional marketing is that most of it falls on deaf ears/blind eyes. Great promotion finds ways to meet peoples needs.

Blessings!

11. January 11, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by Alltop_Photo: Musings of a Manager http://bit.ly/593jt9 Photography.alltop…

12. January 12, 2010 at 1:14 am

Great guest post, Corwin, and a welcome, necessary message. Thanks for stoking the fire already burning under my backside…though not yet seeing me move sufficiently quickly.

13. January 12, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Excellent advice, Corwin.

14. January 12, 2010 at 4:28 pm

“Grabbed the microphone” .. and not a single Elvis number came out! A missed oportunity! lol

Great post and I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned “And, when inspired, he tells people about it. He doesn’t sit on a good idea; he shares it”. It’s very reminiscent of something a friend said to me a few months back. I was always quite guilty of failing to stand up and be counted but as she said, “if you can’t believe in yourself, how can you expect others to believe in you?”. Sometimes you have to run with a thing and trust your ‘vision’.

regards & looking forward to more :)
    I

15. January 12, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Corwin – timely post indeed.

I just contatcted a publisist to a well known songwriter and ententainer. I’m working on a project where one of his songs is the central to it.

I thanked for her help and told her she was my “first step” on this journey.

Though it might take some time to get going, that email was clearly the most important step because it was the first.

16. January 13, 2010 at 2:26 am

The MailChimp advice in the eBook was timed perfectly for me, as making a start on a newsletter and all that entails was on the agenda for me the same week that your eBook came out.

I think good ideas and creative inspiration happens to everyone but the vast majority of people fail to act upon it. I think that is one reason why successful creatives (or any field really) are able to achieve their success – they act upon it.

17. January 14, 2010 at 5:50 am

Great little e-book.
    Very useful insight and enjoyable to read.
    $5 well spent!

18. January 16, 2010 at 7:40 am

Super cool post and thank you for the kick-in-the-pants :)