Feb 19th

2010

Below The Horizon, Coming Soon

Shortly after I started Craft & Vision I approached some of the photographers from whom I myself get inspiration and I asked them to work with me to bring what they do to my readers. My friend Dave Delnea, whose work and career you can explore in VisionMongers as well, is the first photographer out of the gate and I’m thrilled to be able to release his eBook, Below The Horizon, in the next week or so.

Below The Horizon, Understanding Light at the Edges of Day is an inspiring 40-page PDF ebook, much like others in the Craft & Vision line-up. It was reading Delnea’s rough drafts before going to Kenya that pushed me to create some of my favourite work in a long time. Here’s what I wrote in the Foreword:

I shot the image on this page while on safari in Kenya this January. It was reading the rough notes that eventually became this book that finally opened my eyes to the possibilities to be found in shooting at the far edges of day.  Like so many great learning moments, it was the inspiration I took from Below The Horizon that pushed me to get out and play with this stuff.  The information in this eBook is valuable, but as David himself points out, it’s not rocket science.

Shooting at the edges of day and learning to see the interplay possible between light and time, and how that affects the aesthetics of the image, has opened a whole new world to me. I came back from Kenya with images that excited me more than any I’ve shot in a long time, in part because playing with this stuff, and learning to understand it, creates images that do what I want all my photographs to do: create mood and the feeling of being there. I want my work to say “It felt like this…” not only “It looked like this….”

Take the time to absorb this stuff, but when you’ve done so, shut the computer or turn off your tablet, and go out in the growing or fading light and play. Learn, as David suggests, to see the light that’s only here for a few minutes every day. Everyone shoots when it’s easy to be awake and handhold the camera above 1/60, shooting in the near darkness will invigorate you, inspire you, and produce images with uncommon mood and visual pull.

We’ll be releasing this in the next week or two. When we do there will be, as there was last time, a limited-time discount offered for both single books and a bunch of them at once, as a thank you to my readers. This is an excellent addition to the growing line of ebooks at Craft & Vision and one that has personally inspired and energized my own work. I’m really proud and excited to offer it and the moment it’s up it’ll be announced here.

1. Natalie

February 19, 2010 at 10:10 am

when will it be ready????

2. February 19, 2010 at 10:12 am

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by justinvl: I hear he breathes words RT @pixelatedimage: Coming soon: Below The Horizon, Understanding Light at the Edges of Day – http://bit.ly/cDQ77J

February 19, 2010 at 10:14 am

@Natalie. I am aiming for end of the month, just need to finalize some things and get the ball rolling. Would be great to release it next Thursday or Friday, but let’s see how it goes, I’m neck deep in client work, book deadlines, and now moving!

4. February 19, 2010 at 10:34 am

David! Your mean! Once again I am reaching for my wallet before I saw that it’s not out yet!!! I look forward to this! If I was in Vancouver I’d offer to help lug boxes.

5. February 19, 2010 at 11:36 am

I have to ditto Adam’s comment – I was goin’ for the wallet.

I took my e-books to KINKOS, had them printed in color on good paper, and have read and written notes all over them. I’m ready for a new book.

6. February 19, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I haven’t printed mine out, but I have started using Preview on the Mac to Annotate (highlight underline, etc). I suggest making a backup first so that you have a clean copy just in case. Wondering how these will look on an iPad or does that require special formatting?

7. wilsonian

February 19, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Gorgeous. As ever. Can’t wait to get my hands on it.

8. February 19, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Like I said on Facebook, this is my favorite time of day to photograph…I’m already sold

9. February 19, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Oh, and now that you have a snazzy tripod, it will be perfect for this time of day. :-)

10. February 19, 2010 at 8:15 pm

L’heure bleue; the blue hour. The single best time to do long exposures, IMHO.

11. anita

February 20, 2010 at 8:54 am

Wonderful, …can’t wait ’til the end of the month, which isn’t as far off as it sounds! Also, Brucy Percy was looking for a place to publish an ebook :)

12. anita

February 20, 2010 at 8:55 am

sorry, Bruce Percy.

13. February 21, 2010 at 9:44 am

Nice to see more work coming out at Craft & Vision.
    I have to say this after seeing the preview shots of some pages, I apologize in advance for my own pet peeve. I am really a very positive person but somethings just bounce wrong in my head.
    On the Previsualize, Plan, Problem Solve. To “visualize” is to form a mental image of. So what is “Previsualize”? To form a mental image of before you form a mental image? There is really no such thing. To “Visualize” is just that, to Previsualize is a misnomer. Heck spell checkers and online dictionaries don’t even recognize it as a word.
    Ansel Adams consistently used the term “to visualize”. The pre part has been added by unknowns who’s understanding of the English language is lacking but for some reason sticks to this day.
    I apologies once more for being so shewd about this, I know it’s probably just me.
    Hey it won’t stop me form buy the book I am actually looking forward to it. It will just bug me every time I see it since there is really no way to previsualize something. But I will do my best to visualize it. I will even attempt to visualize the word previsuaize as jut visualize. huh?
    I will understand if you blast this comment into the vast abyss, this may not be the place for such personal opinions.

14. Dave Kosiur

February 21, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I too am looking forward to the book, but also have an issue with the use of the word “previsualization”. I agree with Brad’s post and would further point to a blog post by Guy Tal; see http://guytal.com/wordpress/?p=389.

15. February 21, 2010 at 4:22 pm

The term pre-visualize, is an industry term used in television and movies, and specific to achieving three dimensional representation, if I remember correctly. Since photography is the art of representing three dimensional objects in a two dimensional medium, I think it can well apply here.

Since “visualize” means both to make visible or envision, I would accept pre-visualize here with no problem.

I am patiently waiting for the book, ok, actually impatiently waiting. I think I’ll go pre-visualize what might be in it, or would that be fantasize, before I visualize the actual book upon arrival.

What a fun topic.

February 21, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I agree that terminology is important, but let’s not get hung up on it. It’s more important to understand what an author or teacher is saying than to impose our own definitions on them for the terms they’re using. Getting hung up on it prevents us from learning. I agree with the rationale as discussed, but honestly, it’s not important. Same concepts, different wording.

17. Drew

February 24, 2010 at 10:26 am

From wikipedia: Originally, Previsualization referred to the still photographer’s mental process of looking at a scene to be captured and carefully imagining the final printed outcome, anticipating all the artistic and mechanical variables involved, including composition, exposure, development, and darkroom manipulation.

I hear what Brad is saying. In fact I remember that same observation made on another website that I frequent, which escapes me at the moment. Whether it’s previsualization or visualization, we all get the idea :)

18. January 16, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Looking forward to reading more. Great article post.Thanks Again. Want more.